Mudslide

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Well, I guess I'll have to do a little gameday bump. Feedback would be great! I got some good ideas, though, not to mention I must honestly say I forgot to implement a lot of nice suggestions that I got from a7. Heh, I'll make sure to pay better attention to what was said when I make a9.

Expect a9 on monday.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Gameday Thoughts:

- Seemed like a lot of fighting over the last two caps, with the second point going back and forth between teams almost constantly.
- Teams seemed spread out
- Middle point is cool/fun, but I'm not sure about how well it actually plays

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
The middle point is maybe a little to open with not much cover anywhere.

Also one other suggestion. I am not sure exactly how to describe this but il do my best.

If you look at valves maps, all the walls, entry/exit ways, buildings, have a specific purpose. Some are reds and some are blus making it look like in real life the teams would use these buildings if you get what i am going at. Everything is very distinct and obvious what it is for and where to go.

Alot of custom maps have a problem of having to many places to go, or walls and doors that are not necessary. Instead of having so much, try to make more distinct ways to go that would make sense for blu coming from on point processing to capture the next and vice versa. It wasnt that i was getting lost in your map, it just seemed that some areas were unnecessary for our team to capture or more of an annoyance. I recommend looking at granary, badlands and other 5cp maps and look at the walls and edges of the maps. They are distinctive and seem natural for a human to proceed to their destination without having to wander or check for signs as much.

But all in all i really enjoyed you map, had some great moments on the last point as blu. I hope i explained this and it makes sense, sorry for the wall of text. Good luck with mud bath.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Gameday Thoughts:

- Seemed like a lot of fighting over the last two caps, with the second point going back and forth between teams almost constantly.
- Teams seemed spread out
- Middle point is cool/fun, but I'm not sure about how well it actually plays
Regarding the first point, it's been like that for a while. For a9 I won't make any huge changes to that (as I've mentioned earlier, I prefer small progress through many releases), but Mangy made a good point in the GotFrag forums; the distance between the second point and the middle is a little large. I know at least two areas that can be compressed to remedy this, so I might just do that.

As for the other stuff, I'm trying to fix the middle a little by adding a new ramp, so that those on the ground can easily get higher up. A small step, but it's something...

The middle point is maybe a little to open with not much cover anywhere.

Also one other suggestion. I am not sure exactly how to describe this but il do my best.

If you look at valves maps, all the walls, entry/exit ways, buildings, have a specific purpose. Some are reds and some are blus making it look like in real life the teams would use these buildings if you get what i am going at. Everything is very distinct and obvious what it is for and where to go.

Alot of custom maps have a problem of having to many places to go, or walls and doors that are not necessary. Instead of having so much, try to make more distinct ways to go that would make sense for blu coming from on point processing to capture the next and vice versa. It wasnt that i was getting lost in your map, it just seemed that some areas were unnecessary for our team to capture or more of an annoyance. I recommend looking at granary, badlands and other 5cp maps and look at the walls and edges of the maps. They are distinctive and seem natural for a human to proceed to their destination without having to wander or check for signs as much.

But all in all i really enjoyed you map, had some great moments on the last point as blu. I hope i explained this and it makes sense, sorry for the wall of text. Good luck with mud bath.
Adding some cover to the middle for sure.

I absolutely see what you mean about the rest you said, but I think a lot of it is up to the details. I also can't think of a lot of doorways or windows that I could remove without missing them. All I'm saying is that I don't know how big of an issue this really is, because at the moment I just want to iron out the crap stuff before I get down to details. :p

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
Souds good, glad you understood. The details will definettly help as landmarks.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
cp_mudbath_a9 released!
- Rotated the initial spawns 90 degrees to finally put an end to disorientation when coming out of spawn. :|
- By the first point, closed the garage door closest to spawn and opened the other one.
- Slightly increased height of fence around point 2.
- Replaced the windows by point 2 with an opening in the wall, to prevent unkillable sentries.
- Made the lowest ground by the middle more shallow and added a small medkit down there.
- Added two small ammo kits to the middle.
- Added a new ramp to the middle to give players on the low ground more options as to where to go.
- Detailed BLU's second forward spawn.
- Moved spectator cameras by final and middle points.
- Removed some unnecessary gray sign skins.
- Simplified door logic in forward spawns to prevent players being locked in spawn when a point is captured.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Ugh, I'm getting so tired of this damn map never seeing the end of a round during gameday. I'm done doing small steps, so here's what I plan for a10:

- Remove 1/2 of the walk between point 2 and the next building, so the 2nd and mid will be closer
- Remove unnecessary parts that no one uses
- Probably make the mid a little shorter from entrance to entrance as well.
- *Somehow* make it easier to push towards the middle for those owning 2nd. But hoooow? D: I really need help here, so some feedback from Wednesday would be appreciated.

EDIT: Although I might leave that last point out if I can't think of anything, because making the distances shorted might do a lot.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Thanks for that. I could give the thread a little bump when I update to new versions, because I try to do so frequently.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
- *Somehow* make it easier to push towards the middle for those owning 2nd. But hoooow? D: I really need help here, so some feedback from Wednesday would be appreciated.

I really didn't like the extreme vertical combat around CP3. At the very least make it an option rather than a requirement.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
cp_mudbath_a10 released!
- Changed 2nd forward spawn to allow for better exterior details (it was too tall) and interior details (having it rotated 45 degrees was stupid).
- Removed one of the routes by the building near point 2, due to never seeing any use and making people take huge detours.
- Shortened distance between point 2, and the building that is between said point and the middle.
- Lowered cap time for the middle from 9 to 8 seconds.
- Textured a blue room for no particular reason.
- Lowered spawn time for the team defending point 2.
- The exit above the 2nd forward spawns in the middle area has been pushed forward, and there's a new ramp (yes, another ramp!) that goes from there to the point.

Well, finally. Sorry for taking so long, it's my Helsinki trip and my swamp contest entry's fault. And a bit of my laziness.

So, I didn't make as huge changes as I'd promised, because if I did, you'd have to wait until Christmas.

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
Sounds awesome man, I'll DL and check it out right now. >_0

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
You didn't change mid :(

I didn't do anything about your suggestion because I somewhat disagree with you, so with the only comment I've gotten being one I don't want to follow, that was kinda hard. I did make a change, though, although I admit it introduced more height-based gameplay. :p

Well, I don't outright disagree with you or think your comment is stupid, because I see what you mean, it's just that I don't want my map to feel flat. In other words, I might be convinced to do something about it.

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
This is a good map and I loved playing it. I think it moves forward-backward too quickly, as people said it'd be better if the central point's cap time is longer. I didn't get lost in the map, which I think is good.

Observations:

I think the sign's pointing at the wrong direction here.
cp_mudbath_a100000.jpg

You can get stuck here unless you let it slide down and you'll be free again.
cp_mudbath_a100002.jpg

This area is really, really bright (the spawn by the middle cap).
cp_mudbath_a100003.jpg

Last edited:

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
The spires with trees on them near mid look like they can be jumped on as scout/soldier/demoman/whoever. However, they're clipped and you fall down and get some annoying damage. Either make them higher or remove the clip, please.

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Very fun, played well.

I think this sentry spot here was perhaps a bit to powerful, covered basically all of the area near cap 2 and could only be taken out by a spy or uber.
(sorry bout the huge image :p)
cp_mudbath_a100000.jpg

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Thanks for the feedback, not to mention thanks to all of those who tested the map. I think I'm going to make a11 already, and update my gameday submission so that we won't have to play a10 twice. All I can say is that I'm happy with how this turned out, because it seemed to play much better and was very helpful for me.

PenPen: The sign is basically telling you to go straight forward out of the door, which is the "correct" way to go. I'll fix the other stuff.

Tinker: I think I'll add some more props on them to make this more obvious.

Mash: I never thought of that, I'll probably widen the doorway and add a window next to it, so you can spam in there.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I thought the map was great fun. An excellent 5 CP map! Just...change the instacap in the middle. :p