Mudslide

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
cp_mudbath_a4 released!
- Completely redid the middle point (except the battlements).
- Fixed a rock in a deathpit being accessible.
- Fixed doors in forward spawns staying active forever - despite control point status - once having been activated.
- Changed some rocky ground displacements' textures to look more natural.
- Placed more rails by point 2.
- Changed some small displacement rocks to models to avoid incredibly stretchy textures.
- Tweaked some displacements by the last point in an attempt to give them a less stretchy look.

Will be tested this Wednesday's gameday.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
small stuff:

can get stuck here
Team_Fortress_2-2009.07.06-17.58.19.jpg

no lights on the blue side
Team_Fortress_2-2009.07.06-17.59.25.png

This thing is really annoying to get stopped by, clip it.
Team_Fortress_2-2009.07.06-18.01.29.jpg

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
cp_mudbath_a5 released!

Thanks, Ravidge! Some stuff you posted was actually semi-map breaking, so I made a new version.

- Fixed clipping on a rock where you could get stuck
- Added a missing health kit and lights to BLU side
- Fixed nodraw face in a doorway
- Added hazard stripes to middle point
- Moved a sign back for the sake of mobility

Also, this:

cp_mudbath_a50000.png

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Yep, new mid. Sorry if I was vague. Which I was. :p

I got bored and started detailing RED's first spawn (hey, it's a pretty "safe" area in terms of things that need change), so here are some teasers:

cp_mudbath_a60002.png

cp_mudbath_a60003.png

Yeah, it is very dark. It just has mockup lighting at the moment, which will be improved.

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008
The metal textures you used for your base feel very... blue... for a REDbase.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Have a look at Gravel Pit's RED spawn. Exact same metal, plus my wood has a warmer colour than Gravel Pit's. I think it's the lighting; once I get to the final detail stages, I'll assure you the room will look more red.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Well, it got cut off after 23 minutes on gameday, but I hope some of you have something to say anyway.

I was very disappointed to see how badly the middle vs the 2nd point played out. I mean, I did expect it, since the middle was changed only due to a lack of inspiration in the previous one. However, this time it seemed to be even worse. o.o

Well, I know exactly what to improve, and I think I have an idea on how to do it too... But any comments on how I could improve the middle-to-second relationship would be very much appreciated.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Was fun while it lasted ;)

Middle played better than the last version, definately. So that is an improvement.
I think the middle vs 2nd point wasn't too bad, but slightly awkward. When you got out of the buildings (from mid) you got put in a pretty wierd spot, out in the open with not much options other than rush the capture point. I dont think the distance between capture points is bad, but take granary for example; the area between mid and 2nd is a very spacious and enjoyable fighting 'arena' even without direct sight of the objective... dunno, might be something to think about.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
First of all, I tried some new lighting:

cp_mudbath_a60004.png

Badwater's lighting with 2fort's sky. This is to make the map a little brighter, because it was way too dark. Looks better now, I think, if not entirely fitting the theme.

And here are some more teasers of the BLU side:
cp_mudbath_a60007.png
cp_mudbath_a60008.png

I'm going to compile later today to be ready to apply for Sunday's gameday. I did no changes to the general layout for a6, because I feel that I need more experience and testing to see what needs change. However, I did give the losing team some advantages with spawn times.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
cp_mudbath_a6 released!

- Changed lighting to that of Badwater and used 2fort's sky (The sky will be changed to Hydro's in a7)
- Added some details to RED and BLU's first and second spawns.
- Added more health to the middle to prolong the initial fight.
- Added some nobuild brushes to possibly exploitable areas.
- Touched up a displacement by the middle.
- Increased cap time for the second point, hopefully creating less back-and-forth capping between point 1 and 2, and making it harder to take immediately after the mid has been taken.
- Increased spawn time for those assaulting the second point.
- Fixed some signs being too dark to notice.
- Added another sign by the first spawn to help people avoid the long route upon initially spawning.

As briefly mentioned, there are no big changes here, just some small tweaks so I can further study how the gameflow should be improved.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Hey guys, I've been away for a few days, so I suppose I have a bit to catch up to. Gameday, for example. I'll have a look at the demo soon and then I'll start work on a7, hopefully releasing that in time to enter it for Sunday's gameday.

Consider this your gameday bump; Anyone who played Mudbath this sunday, feel free to give me some feedback here and now, even if it's been a few days.

Feb 14, 2008
Those pictures look very similar to my map :p

Then again, we probably both took inspiration from Granary, top room looks a little sparse.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Then again, your map looks very similar to Granary and Badwater. :p

You're right, though. It's pretty hard to come up with a somewhat unique style for BLU, and I did in fact end up thinking it looks a little like Fool Hill (among others). I'm not sure if I'm going to bother to make a new, different style or if I'll just stick to the tried and true "concrete and metal" style.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
a7 will be out tomorrow. The major change is, once again, the battlements between point 2 and the middle. What a difficult little bugger...

Here's what's changed:

cp_mudbath_a70000.png

I decided to take this change slow because I figured the whole area seems fine... the problem is with people's psychology; hopefully an open, inviting area will fix the big problems of people not pushing through, and everyone having to cram themselves through tight hallways to get anywhere.