Mann Manor

CP Mann Manor Final release

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
For the record the only thing that uses $normalmap is the water shader, because it uses both. A normal VTF on $normalmap for dx9+ and a dudv VTF on $bumpmap for dx8.
Valve is just really awkward with terms they use for... everything. :/

coagulated

L1: Registered
Aug 12, 2010
Just so you guys know, if this entry doesn't win it would make a really bitchin' zombie fortress map, just saying... :D

Nov 14, 2009
I'm jealous cause this post has so many more comments than mine which was posted a while back :(

Since YM made Hoodoo, hes a big name. Also, hes partnered with Rexy, and his models are fantastic. Also, YM is a great detailer (not saying you arent), and this theme is truly unique.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Since YM made Hoodoo, hes a big name. Also, hes partnered with Rexy, and his models are fantastic. Also, YM is a great detailer (not saying you arent), and this theme is truly unique.

There are more comments off on silly tangents like this normal/bump map discussion though.

I don't really mind the tangents because it's all enlightening stuff that comes out and at the end of the day usually at least one person involved in the discussion has learnt something from it.

I'm pretty sure we've got some SSBump maps in here somewhere, right Rexy?
I personally like SSBumps cause they have prettier colours than normal maps. :)

Chemical Alia

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure we've got some SSBump maps in here somewhere, right Rexy?
I personally like SSBumps cause they have prettier colours than normal maps. :)

Is that like a normal map with ambient occlusion or something?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
So, if I'm reading this right, a cross section of a heightmap vs. full RGB normal mapping would be kinda like this?

normalmapping.gif

If so, it looks like I'm going to have to find a new tool for generating normal maps for textures. Because I am clearly not getting the performance I could be out of my grayscale-to-heightmap plugin.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
came back to holidays to scroll through 4 pages of gorgeous art.
now all i see is silly techy gibberish...
it's just not right to make this potentially cool thread into random chatroom mode. lots of half knowledge that doesn't add anything to the artpass entry. wonder why you 2 people even joined this tech talk :/

More Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay !!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Is that like a normal map with ambient occlusion or something?

Yeah, the ambient occlusion is generated from three different angles then the shader blends between them depending on the direction of the light. I think they were first introduced in orange box engine, the antlion tunnels particularly and one or two of the tf2 rock textures use them.

More Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art Art yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay !!

I'm away from my working PC until tuesday, you'll have to be patient and put up with the techy talk. Unless rexy want's to show off more of his lovely props.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008

I also put it down to the (controversial) new custom gear. When ever i see a map with a load of new props/materials it always gets tons of initial comments. Look at that arabia map for example, the level designer isn't particularly well known (and seemingly new to the tools judging by the brush/entity work) yet his thread is packed full of comments.

coagulated

Aug 12, 2010
I pretty much agree with what ^^^^^^ said, but holy hell the screenshots being produced by this thread are so excellent I never want it to stop. I think that it definitely still has a chance of winning, even if it's not as clean as the others, simply because of the wow factor and the excellent style :D

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
It's okay Rexy, we can still be friends :)

Lol, thanks, all I can say is that I'm really embarrassed myself over the whole normal maps flop...I somewhere had convinced myself and gave myself misinformation about what the source engine could do and couldn't. I felt really foolish for like 2 whole days and there's no doubt it's all my fault. The easiest way to explain is that I'm a complete idiot. That's me!

Several props use normal maps in this new theme set, so I suppose now is a good time to show off some of those.

YM is right, yes, we have 2 textures using ssbump, so I'll show those off as well as a few of the models using normals.

This is a new wood shingle texture, since we both felt there wasn't anything adequate enough for the kind of material we wanted for roofing, I believe YM has used it extensively on the mansion exterior, if you want screenshots of these textures being used in the map, you'll have to ask YM. Both of these textures started off as modeled geometry, then used a baked AO to create the shadow detail on the textures, and also to generate the ssbump.
wood_shingles_show_01.jpg

This is a baseboard texture meant to fill the interior spaces to create a more mansion-y look.
baseboards_show_01.jpg

And some furniture
mansion_chair_01.jpg

mansion_couch_01.jpg

fireplace_01.jpg

And some cardboard boxes, for multiple uses. We felt that having dynamite boxes inside the mansion didn't make any sense, and the cardboard boxes that exist now weren't functional enough.
cardboard_box_set_01.jpg

cardboard_box_set_02.jpg

johndo

Aug 9, 2010
I know I sound weird saying this but I love cardboard. Oh and btw, how are the tri count for those boxes?

Goombac

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 27, 2010
I don't know anything technical about modelling so I'ma get straight to the point. Pretty chairs! :love:

Simski

May 17, 2010
Do you have any more pictures of the actual detailing on the map yet?

While I am amazed by your modeling work, I have not seen much of your actual map other from the first post.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I was under the impression the ssbump would be creating longer shadows on the lower tiles than that, almost seems a little pointless

Anyhow, I found this little critter whilst wandering around the mansion!

more shots of the rest of the map will come later, I still need to do some catch up work after not doing anything since thursday due to being at home.

Simski

May 17, 2010
Anyhow, I found this little critter whilst wandering around the mansion!

Looks awesome :O
Is that point C?

Perhaps it should be placed somewhat further down though, I think that currently it doesn't look like it would believably be completely concealed. From that angle it looks like its silhouette would likely be more visible, placing it further down would solve that issue and would add more depth to the pit (If that is the pit)