Mann Manor

CP Mann Manor Final release

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Why not show it all at once? You've got nothing to lose for doing it, and it's silly to hype up something of yourself - you could be gaining valuable feedback for things you would not otherwise have shown. You're not Valve, we can comment here!

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Why not show it all at once? You've got nothing to lose for doing it, and it's silly to hype up something of yourself - you could be gaining valuable feedback for things you would not otherwise have shown. You're not Valve, we can comment here!

That's really up to YM, he's already stated he's not quite ready to show off more of the map. Besides, I like hype!

Speaking of which, here's an image of another halloween/mansion asset:

baby_grand_01.jpg

Chemical Alia

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2010
That's really up to YM, he's already stated he's not quite ready to show off more of the map. Besides, I like hype!

Speaking of which, here's an image of another halloween/mansion asset:

baby_grand_01.jpg

I think he means you should post more of your art at once, so we can see it now, instead of waiting arbitrarily just to hype up the thread.

But speaking of which, what is the tri count on that piano? D:

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
It's the right amount of keys, I checked it on our own grand piano.

You will add a sound when someone shoots it, right?

Right?

:D

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It's the right amount of keys, I checked it on our own grand piano.

You will add a sound when someone shoots it, right?

Right?

:D

It will now!

I'll find some loyalty free sounds as soon as I get home (unless the GCF has some I dunno what was used in L4D)

I can't show more of the map now because I am with my parents not at my house. also there are large chunks of unfinished-ness lying around and I only really like pimping out shots that are nearly done rather than half done.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
I really hope you decide to release the assets at some point.

Goombac

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 27, 2010
Yes, the GCF has the piano sounds from L4D Death Toll. Although it's rather spooky...

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
I'd suggest using that.

Chemical Alia

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2010
2311 triangles, with 2 LOD's down to 1213.

Dude, you could cut the tri count down by half and have no significantly noticeable change in the way it looks, there are so many tiny/unnecessary details. Optimization should always be the main priority when creating game assets, especially non-interactable environmental props. Remember, no one will be taking in small details from many feet away, while focused on the game. The fact you need LODs for something inside a house is scary, especially with so many other props around with high polygon density.

I'm making these suggestions because I see that you're studying to be a game artist and it seems to be something you take very seriously. If you take an art test for a studio some day, you will have to prove that you made the most of your models with as few polygons as absolutely possible to get the job. Even the props in our game, Rage, has less geometry than this, and the game is highly detailed/realistic compared to TF2.

I'm also making these suggestions because if you are planning on releasing them to the community, I don't want my computer exploding from the over-use of un-optimized assets in every new map I play v:

b519e9c846210b99849253b1c3d1fdfe6g.jpg

It's a beautiful model, and I think you can push it to a nice high poly version and bake out some normal maps for your portfolio or something, but TF2 is so simplified that it hardly even uses normal maps outside of characters v:

Last edited:

JoshuaC

L420: High Member
Sep 2, 2008
Dude, you could cut the tri count down by half and have no significantly noticeable change in the way it looks, there are so many tiny/unnecessary details. Optimization should always be the main priority when creating game assets, especially non-interactable environmental props. Remember, no one will be taking in small details from many feet away, while focused on the game. The fact you need LODs for something inside a house is scary, especially with so many other props around with high polygon density.

I'm making these suggestions because I see that you're studying to be a game artist and it seems to be something you take very seriously. If you take an art test for a studio some day, you will have to prove that you made the most of your models with as few polygons as absolutely possible to get the job. Even the props in our game, Rage, has less geometry than this, and the game is highly detailed/realistic compared to TF2.

I'm also making these suggestions because if you are planning on releasing them to the community, I don't want my computer exploding from the over-use of un-optimized assets in every new map I play v:

It's a beautiful model, and I think you can push it to a nice high poly version and bake out some normal maps for your portfolio or something, but TF2 is so simplified that it hardly even uses normal maps outside of characters v:

If you look at other models within TF2, especially center pieces like this, you'll see that they're quite high on the poly count. His model is actually at the lower end spectrum for what you'd find in TF2.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
It will now!

I'll find some loyalty free sounds as soon as I get home (unless the GCF has some I dunno what was used in L4D)

I can't show more of the map now because I am with my parents not at my house. also there are large chunks of unfinished-ness lying around and I only really like pimping out shots that are nearly done rather than half done.

Awesome, and fair enough.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Hehe, you should talk to Valve about props like the buff banner.

A single banner (not including the bugle or it's backpack) is well over twice as many polys as this piano. it's almost like valve forgot what optimization is since TF2's release.

They've got so sloppy over their asset creation it's sad :(