Mann Manor

CP Mann Manor Final release

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I'm going to guess his problem with that is in that line of thinking you could use a wider hallway with a couple props.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
If it were as simple as merely imagining aesthetics to be different, i'd have no complaints about gameplay ramifications due to over detailing the play area.

Pyro's can't ambush doorways, engineers can't setup in corners, all players are confined to the centre of the room where they are easily spotted and attacked by anyone entering.

But if you're not gonna change it, you're not gonna change it.

Last edited:

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I agree with pretty much all of grazr's points, especially the open doors and the sledgehammer of narrative battering the player's heads throughout the map. However, for now, I guess they're Valve's concerns, and not ours anymore.

Jan 20, 2010

Well, he can't really now. They've all been turned in.

Also, Icarus, Goob's and Ace's maps may be not as well optimized as this map, but I do hope that doesn't disqualify them because they were just as worthy of winning visually as this map.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
This isn't a regular detailing contest. You're detailing a real map that will be played in real servers. A lot of the entries don't seem to consider all the aspects of it.

-Detailing
-Optimization
-Gameplay

People complain enough about Coldfront's FPS (which is really not that bad) enough to avoid it. Something that is genuinely laggy is going to be destroyed.

"may not be as well optimized" hardly makes it a viable option.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007

Its more of not understanding the issue than stubbornness.

Also optimisation is important, I didn't pay it that much attention after the initial building. I just made sure that there was significant blocking between A and B then use hints and occluders to smite anything that was left over from the large blocky geometry.

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
What are you talking about? Coldfront's fps rocks the clock. I have problems with maps like gorge, sawmill...poor old 8800 geforce...

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Good show, chaps.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
*dances on top of Rexy's piano like Snoopy*

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well, he can't really now. They've all been turned in.

Even after a custom map is made official authors can edit their work, which will go live in the next update.

Why do you think Icarus has been having coldfront update tests recently? YM has made updates to hoodoo which improved gameplay and Skdr improved the aesthetics of fastlane so it was less of a generic battlefield.

Personally i never noticed any performance issues with this map. Even on my dying GeForce 7900 this map ran like a sleeping baby. Whilst i don't see eye to eye with YM's detailing methods, there's no doubt that he can optimise a map well.

Also, congratulations on your joint victory YM. Even though this wasn't my favourite to win, Rexy and yourself undoubtedly put a lot of effort into this project.

Jan 20, 2010
Even after a custom map is made official authors can edit their work, which will go live in the next update.

I meant BEFORE he won (which is when you were criticizing it) as prop clutter could be a legitimate reason for him not to win, and something that would only effect his winning if he had fixed it before he turned it in. Obviously, that's not the case anymore, and he can do whatever now.