CP Mangy's Artpass Thread

Chemical Alia

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2010
He wants the brilliant green, which I think he should stick with, but you're right that there's not nearly enough atmospheric perspective.

The problem is, "brilliant green" isn't really possible with anything that far in the distance, due to light reflecting off of particles in the atmosphere. To have a green that saturated and dark will inevitably break the illusion of distance. If they were a bright turquoise color or something and with a lighter value, they could still be eye-catching, yet much more believable.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
That 2fort 3dskybox texture looks really odd. Especially when it transitions from green mountainside, to brown farmland, to an alpine dusty-gravel/grass blend displacement.

I tried utilising it for my own farm map but i just couldn't get it to work well with the gravel-hay blend texture, so it was better just to leave it out, i think you would also do better to consolidate your theme.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
First, green but with less strong lighting:
artpass_mangyi0000_2.jpg

Now, blue background, switched 3dsky material
artpass_mangyi0003_2.jpg

artpass_mangyi0005.jpg

Beamos

May 14, 2008
Personally, I prefer the first one IF the green were desaturated, and the mountains faded to a more blue-ish green, as others have suggested. The second one just doesn't match the feel of the map, in my opinion.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Thanks grazr you pointed out most of exactly what I wanted to for me.

Shadows will be eliminated with a proper compile, that brick building needs a trim at the top and possibly a vent or window or two (under each lower section)

The drain models should have more staining under them, and perhaps even a little on the floor under them as well.

The building with the word 'shadows?' on it should not have grass bits at the bottom of the wood, especially the near side that is flush with the brick wall, it just screams wrong. The lamp on it has on and off skins, make sure you're using the right one.

It's all looking pretty good and the yellowy tan building I commented as looking off before doesn't anymore, just the steep, steep grass patch to it's right does now.

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
Ya definitely, as it stands that red brick barn building makes me want to vomit! You should add the trims but also try to find a darker texture for the bottom third.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Ya definitely, as it stands that red brick barn building makes me want to vomit! You should add the trims but also try to find a darker texture for the bottom third.

whoaaa I get that it's ugly, but vomit is a little bit of a stretch...! I think from player perspective in game, that is not where i want to spend resources, but I'll add the trim for sure.

btw if anyone's available to due some fairly artistic paintovers for me, please contact me on steam asap D: examples of previous work desired but beggars can't be choosers

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
I'm on the skybox issue now. Don't start, Lem. I'd rather do my own work.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Polishing up BLU spawn exterior. I really am proud of the way I handled the 'hut' nearby:
artpass_mangyi0000_3.jpg

artpass_mangyi0003_3.jpg

Note the use of lighting fixtures even when unaccompanied by a light source... this is easily forgotten by some.
artpass_mangyi0005_2.jpg

Environmental lighting is pretty much done in terms of tweaking. Void is on the move with an excellent skybox edit that I think blends both ideas together well. Progress has been made with light detail passes on building exteriors, and have started interior strutwork here and there. Much to go below the surface, though, and the natural geometry is a far cry from polished.

Anyway, some interior detail... showing you don't always need to use stairs to get players upwards.
artpass_mangyi0006.jpg

Beamos

May 14, 2008
Very very nice job handling the hut, but the BLU logo on the hut seems a bit odd for that specific building. Might just be me though.

Of larger concern are the two towers over BLU spawn. Is it possible to integrate them more into BLU spawn? They feel like they're just there at the moment. Not to mention, their odd shape... they're just not sitting well with me overall. Perhaps if you raise the roof to the right of the towers, that might work with the odd shapes of the towers? The roof definitely needs to be made a bit more complex for those towers, in my opinion. Nothing fancy, just some height differences.

And the interior is fantastic. Love it.

Last edited:

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Well, on the interior you can see up into at least one of those towers. Perhaps when I add smoothing groups and do a better lighting pass it'll work better?

The deal with the hut replacement would probably make more sense with sliding door over the entrances, so it could actually hold grain, but in this case I think it may be convincing enough as is during playtime so as to not require actual gates

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
The skybox issue has been addressed and fit to suit the majority's opinions, including the client himself.

I'd put in more fancytalk but then you guys would either die of boredom or turn into an 1800s era englishman before seeing the new sky.

sky_forest_02_final.png

It will be put into effect as soon as mangyly possible.

Feb 14, 2008
I think the 2 towers at BLU spawn should be a bit more angular and straight at the edges rather than how you have it at the moment, they just look a bit weird like that.