CP Mangy's Artpass Thread

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Days are counting down and I'm gonna have to make sacrifices somewhere... if you all had to vote, which areas should I concentrate on the most?

Unstarted:
Red spawn
BLU spawn
Unfinished:
Room above C
Side rooms/hallways to C
Random small rooms around map

Gotta get all that stuff done, do about 8 hours of polish, then clip and optimize finally D:

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
artpass_mangyj0004_3.jpg

artpass_mangyj0003_3.jpg

artpass_mangyj0001_3.jpg

artpass_mangyj0002_3.jpg

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
the Interior of both the spawn can be pretty plain/generic without a real problem, work on the exterior of both though as I'd say thats where you be the most, sitting around outside the blue spawn in setup time having something nice to look at helps and the blue team facing RED spawn while attacking the last point where stalemates will most likely to occur, then any room that you have interesting ideas for, then general themeing for the rooms you run out of time for i.e. alpine/industrial/spytech

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I do love what you've done with the skybox and your original use of the stone texture. I just wish the transition from the more detail grass to that skybox txeture was more smooth. But i guess there's not much you can do about that. You manage it well in the 4th pic there, but the third looks really off.

If you had to not make rooms beautiful to meet the deadline i'd say the spawn rooms. Even though players spend up to 2 minutes in there, thinking of spawns like goldrush, dustbowl, badwater... there's never really much too them besides a couple pipes and servers behind glass windows.

Last edited:

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Yeah, the spawns on 5cp or something aren't that important (though I will always dance on the Coldfront table after winning), but here people are stuck in there for a good while. It's nice to jump around on stuff and look at scenery.

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
BLU Spawn strikes me as most important, although upper C also seems very important. Since RED isn't stuck in there spawn for 60 seconds it isn't as much of an issue for them, although at the same time RED Spawn can have some kick ass spytech detailing. Your upper C is really unique though and so fully fleshing that area out might net you the greatest "score" or whatever.

Good luck finishing Mangy!

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
artpass_mangyj0003_3.jpg

I love everything about this picture. It's so picturesque, nicely detailed, and best of all, it doesn't draw too much attention away from the actual gameplay which might take place there. Lots of entries have a bunch of detail everywhere, but yours has it where it counts, and that's what I think really matters - where you detail, not how you detail.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I'm not sure I like those walls next to the various staircases, they look like they could get in the way of players.

Other than that, looking splendiferous.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm not sure I like those walls next to the various staircases, they look like they could get in the way of players.

Other than that, looking splendiferous.

I second this, if there's one thing i learnt from my first couple TF2 maps it's that players hate walking around obstacles, and love jumping out from doorways to ambush people.

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
not sure about those payload race overlays infront of the blu spawn exits. That lampost isn't significant enough to be standing alone and probably should be moved. OR, place other clutter around it to make it much more noticeable and actual cover.

artpass_mangyj0002_3.jpg

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
I've finished detailing :) Well, minus tweaks of course. Still want to add more to BLU spawn but that's no longer a priority.
I didn't think I could make C work but I like what has come out of it in the end.

artpass_mangyk0008.jpg

artpass_mangyk0010.jpg

TODO:
Tweaks
Cubemaps
Soundscapes
Spec Cams
Fix all entities up
Playerclip
Optimize

Trying to finish by tomorrow night, we'll see what happens.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Only the staging area really needs hints anyway. You could probably get away with 9 or 10 as long as you have areaportals, though i know you have done some of this already.

There are some cubemaps in the map already and i confess not to have added any of my own yet, but i think the most important thing to get done for the submission is soundscapes.