Let's see your "MAP DESIGNER" decals

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
Me too, I like Shmitz's idea. Once I figure out the best way to visually represent nine axes I'll do something like that.

Ohhh , have one in the center looking like its coming down strait at you, two on the sides looking like they're going for your shoulders, 2 more at a slightly farther angle, and the final two about 65 degrees off center, that'd look sweet.

Laz

L420: High Member
Jul 5, 2008
perhaps I'll model a sign in tf2 style, like the big red distillery one, so it blends in really nice, and put it in the skybox in the distance, so its hardly noticable what it says unless you really try to read it.

apocguy

L2: Junior Member
Jan 10, 2008
In the map I made I placed advertisements for a gaming community I am a member of.
owsposter_blue.png

owsposter.png

I also made up my own Hydro Electric company.
ctf_rocketcity0013.jpg

Also I put in a Frisky Dingo poster, love that show.
ctf_rocketcity0010.jpg

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Whoa that shmitz chap, hes a lot cleverer than he lets on a lot of the time.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Youme change the overlay on his payload map, where it had his avatar in the lower corner with an arrow pointed to it that said made by youme. I always thought that was cool.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Indeed, there it is -
hoodoomenuxt1.jpg

Not the most recent version of course but its got the bit you wanted to see

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

Apr 12, 2008
I think thats a fine way to sign a map. It is at the most relevant point during a map, the information page. It does not get in the way of game play. And it does not visually offend, as others in this thread of complained about.

Spike

Feb 13, 2008
I used those pics edited on a map, I dont have the signatures, i only have the original pics.

spikeis2.jpg

photoshopingss2ts0.jpg

BTW 2nd pic it's me edited to cartoon with photoshop. Only face and neck it's mine and made by me, the rest of the pic is fanart of Cowboy Bebop

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Ohhh , have one in the center looking like its coming down strait at you, two on the sides looking like they're going for your shoulders, 2 more at a slightly farther angle, and the final two about 65 degrees off center, that'd look sweet.

Axes as in the plural form of axis, not the weapon of the pyro. Nineaxis, nine axes...

I think youme has the best idea for signatures. It's perfect, unobtrusive, and where the mapmaker's name should be- the map info page.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Nice Roden.

When i used to play DoD 1.3 the standard was a secret room under the map.

Donner had a plynth/head stone or something commemorating war vets or map makers or someone.. i can't remember. It was a pleasent way of doing it, rather than pasting your name all over your map. They were fun to find also... most official maps had them actually, hidden in a crack in a wall behind some fire, a bush, windows.. etc.

Most could only be found by no clipping.

Lord Ned

L420: High Member
Feb 11, 2008
I like Youme's way of having it done on the chalkboard there. Shmitz is okay, but stands out.

I like roden's way too.

Though personally, I think not putting anything (or very subtle ones) is the way to do it. The best way is to have a very distinct style. Cp_Castle, and ctf_crossunder(?) are both by the same guy, and you can tell just by looking at it.