I propose an Arctic Theme Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
Gonna start making new blends and a sunset skybox texture.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
I'll see how I can contribute. I may end up making a custom color swatch, to keep the new textures in-check.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Ok, so I figured the fundamental flaw in my particle system hierarchy thing

It quadruples the sizes instead of doubles them.

Naturally, this can't be fixed, but metroid man was nice enough to edit original viaduct particles into a much more easier to edit system, which I will be uploading tonight!

I'll be willing to whip up VMT's for ya if you supply the textures

OH OH OH OHO HOHOAHDIOSDBN! I'd love this shit! I can make the textures just fine, I've been working on some and have mostly finished them. (At least the first versions, have to see how well it looks in game and how it meshes with the TF2 art style..) And I need to figure out how to make bumpmaps....

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
I made a thread devoted to those who want to upload shared resources for the pack, which can be found here.

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
Another unwarranted thread related to this pack has already been made and locked. Unless iiboharz gave you permission to make this, you should leave the management of the project to her.

Thread ceased and desisted until further notice.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
I made a map pack of some winter themed maps for users to check out:
https://www.mediafire.com/?97eas56a76ply9i
The maps are:
Cp Glacier
cp_glacier_rc30013.jpg

Cp Snowplow
cp_snowplow_sfm_s1_rc10003.jpg

Cp Stonyridge
Xa5lRbF.png

Koth Arctic
koth_arctic_b20001.jpg

Pl snowycoast
pl_snowycoast_b1_04.jpg

Pl Tanker
2015-02-25_00003.jpg

I also put in Koth Highpass by accident

Be sure to check out:
detail2014_waffledoctor
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjka96ta7v687la/detail2014_waffledoctor.bsp.bz2?dl=0
Ctf_Haarp
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=7358
haarp_betascreen2.jpg

Last edited:

Kraken

Dec 21, 2014

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Wait no haarp?

Ok, I added it in the bottom section!

Now, for all those nay-sayers who thought I was done posting cool stuff:
http://imgur.com/a/H8JDL

214 Pictures from: Frozen, Polar express and the Arctic Giants national geographic documentary. All for art-reference (And more is still to come!)

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
Ok, I added it in the bottom section!

Now, for all those nay-sayers who thought I was done posting cool stuff:
http://imgur.com/a/H8JDL

214 Pictures from: Frozen, Polar express and the Arctic Giants national geographic documentary. All for art-reference (And more is still to come!)

Great! I'll start working on CGI Tom Hanks.

polarexpress_1600.jpg

Edit: Also, if we're looking into maps using the snow theme, I volunteer pl_crash_72 as tribute. It may not completely polished and clear-cut, but I feel it does wood and ice texturing very well, especially when you consider its placement as a 72-Hour Contest entry.

Last edited:

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
If people have trouble with normal maps, I can help out. I got an OS X version of Crazybump that does not require a payment nor is a trial (which the Windows version is) because it's still in beta (but it has the same functionality as the Windows version), so if people want to deliver their textures as either .psd's or PNGs (not JPEGS cuz they suck with quality because of compression) with a small description of what it should look like so I can work my magic that'd be great. You get full credit for the texture. Please do not deliver .vtfs. Crazybump can't do anything with that. I'll make the .vtf's and .vmt's. with the proper settings using VTFEdit.

I like normal maps a lot. I'm shocked to see a lot of stock Valve textures without normal maps nowadays. Prepare for a normal map pack sometime soon.

Why I'm doing this: I can't create textures (Photoshop newb (or any other photo editing software for that matter)) but I do like tinkering with existing stuff to make it more awesome. And I'd like to contribute to this pack in some way or form.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
If it doesn't exist already, I could work on a skybox where the mountains are much more colored to give the impression of them being closer. With maybe some clouds thrown in or something.

EDIT: I wanted to do it for detail2014_hqdefault, but I wasn't up for creating more than one custom asset :|
Overall I feel it should exist.

Last edited:

Snowbat

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 23, 2013
For those who are interested: I'm kinda experienced at making textures from scratch (as in: not from pictures) and after screwing around a lot, I managed to replicate a somewhat TF2-esque style.
I also have Crazybump that I totally didn't pirate so I can assist cubemap with making Normal maps. I made plenty for all my past textures.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Stoneyridge should be getting an update soon, Valve Time. Pl_crash I sort of indefinitely put on the back burner but I guess I'd you guys really wanted it for a big pack I could think about taking a stab at it again.

Kraken

Dec 21, 2014
Stoneyridge should be getting an update soon, Valve Time. Pl_crash I sort of indefinitely put on the back burner but I guess I'd you guys really wanted it for a big pack I could think about taking a stab at it again.

Yes, what makes a difference between a good theme pack and a amazing theme pack.
To simply put it, maps.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Yes, what makes a difference between a good theme pack and a amazing theme pack.
To simply put it, maps.
Incidentally, that's partly why the End of the Line update flopped.

That and many other reasons...

Kraken

Dec 21, 2014
Incidentally, that's partly why the End of the Line update flopped.

That and many other reasons...

Yeah, but that doesn't explain the duck journal.
It seems that it was a idea from at least very beginning.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
If it doesn't exist already, I could work on a skybox where the mountains are much more colored to give the impression of them being closer. With maybe some clouds thrown in or something.

EDIT: I wanted to do it for detail2014_hqdefault, but I wasn't up for creating more than one custom asset :|
Overall I feel it should exist.

Umm... so... I can't find the original texture. Not one with the top of the skybox.

Status
Not open for further replies.