Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
OK FIRST CONTRIBUTION:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8qoxyar071c6nq/Improved Snow Particles.zip?dl=0

THE NEW AND IMPROVED SNOW PARTICLES (beta)

WHY USE THESE?
A multitude of magnificent reasons!
-The origin is fixed to be at center top
-LOADS of sizes, from 64 -> 1024
-You can make it double or half dense

Best of all, it works in a hierarchy!
Size 128 is just 4 Sixty-Four sizes put side by side! This means by changing the properties of the original, it changes for multiple sizes!

Why post here not it's own thread?
Bug testing

Is it safe?
Excess use is known to cause crashes, e.g two 1024's at the same time (This bug occured in the test lab which is in the pack, i'm going to look into it)

What now?
Give me your suggestions! Do you want the snow to be faster? Do you want snow effects like them bouncing off the ground? All I have to do is change one and BAM multiple sizes changed!

But yeah, please try it out, and get back to me with your thoughts and suggestions! If I hear nothing in a week, it's gonna be uploaded!

Limit study:
2x 1024 at any density is the limit, odd that this is at ALL densities

(WebM's coming soon)

Last edited:

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
What we need is frozen version of the halloween stone spikes.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
I'm happy about this - particles on the way! Yet in the grand scheme of things (and this going to sound a bit odd), we're going to have to think about the small things that make the Arctic theme the Arctic theme. Just look at this:
IMG_7616-Snow-On-Highway.jpg

This is an image of snow blowing across a road. In a map, when extreme wind becomes a factor, everything about the map's detailing should support that idea. A problem with implementing this would be the visibility of stickies on the ground being tough to see, but really, most effects in moderation made to fit the general art style should be able to fit the TF2 gameplay style.
MG-1883.jpg

This is more of a reminder than anything that pressed-in snow tracks and the like are going to need some form of shading or bump maps.
r30hm-wallpapers-220625870-1680x1050.jpg

Just a thought to add appropriate snowcards/skybox props/skybox textures.

The thought of simply standing in the snow and looking up holds a lot of dear memories for many people. Let's do our best bring this beautiful thing to the warfields of a video game!

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Ugh, I wish I could join all of this, but I have no idea how to make VMTs or anything else......

I think Imma try to learn, so that I don't end up on the outside of the fun....

Last edited:

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Okay guys! I am going to attempt to make various textures and such for this pack, I love snow too much to miss out.

I am going to start with a night snow skybox!

Apr 14, 2013
I put here some reference pictures, hope it'll help someone. If I find the time I might make some textures or overlays.
WARNING: lots of pics. Sadly the [spoiler.] doesn't work w/ pictures.

line0189.jpg

landscapes-snow-smoke-trains-train-stations-Industrial-railroad-tracks-vehicles-_1098-51.jpg

_59311724_faacccc0-b7d1-4b44-b05c-eca27a7ed289.jpg

tumblr_myulqp8MPg1r93xiko1_500.gif

Battle_of_Hoth.jpg

Antarctica-Slideshow-Image7.jpg

a03.jpg

a07.jpg

v43n2-wiebe11en_10257.jpg

McMurdo-Station-Antarctica-November-2011.-Original-here.-CC-BY-Alan-Light.jpg

icebreaker_med1.jpg

arielmactown.jpg

Station2.JPG

Check out Palmer Station- it looks very tf2-themed
palmer121204_b1.jpg

And this site I found has some great photography. Andthis one, which is more snow-vehicle oriented.
Here are some other pics I found: ~

Last edited:

PyroDevil

L3: Member
Sep 19, 2014
ygJVlFD.jpg

Cause it's would be a crime to not have an Ice Breaker Ship in an Arctic Theme Pack. (Probably better to have a red and blu hull instead of the entire ship)

I may try to model, just need to get to know the program

More pics
Il4Y8MJ.jpg

yKBJpoi.jpg

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
MG-1883.jpg

This is more of a reminder than anything that pressed-in snow tracks and the like are going to need some form of shading or bump maps.
Well, that's gonna be a problem, because it turns out Source doesn't support overlays with bump maps. At least not without custom shaders.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
What we really need is Narwhals.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Well, that's gonna be a problem, because it turns out Source doesn't support overlays with bump maps. At least not without custom shaders.
Once again, the formalities of Source bring an idea down. Thanks, Newell! However, I doubt that with some cleverness, some ingenuity, and a pinch of creativity, the community can't come up with something that looks more-than-decent for the effect. Off the top of my head, to achieve this specific effect, we could a) Make a custom texture, specifically made for a displacement that could be included in a .vmf with the resource pack (I find this to be the interesting but less feasible approach), or b) a small prop/collection of props dedicated to providing the track and the appropriate shading (the reference picture below really supports this approach). I really do just like that slushy look...
stock-photo-tire-tracks-in-the-melting-snow-on-asphalt-road-777636.jpg

What we really need is Narwhals.
Preview.jpg

BigBros

Aug 20, 2014
I will try to play around getting a similar effect with texturing. Pretty surprising how much depth you can make with textures. Especially when you have time, photoshop and a lot of energy drinks...

Sep 19, 2010
I would love for some snow covered versions of more popular props. Similar to the barrels and crates from EOTL. I also think some trees with snow on the branches would be really cool. Unable to really help with any of the assets, but I be happy to help with promo and that sort of thing once the ball gets rolling.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Ok, so I figured the fundamental flaw in my particle system hierarchy thing

It quadruples the sizes instead of doubles them.

Naturally, this can't be fixed, but metroid man was nice enough to edit original viaduct particles into a much more easier to edit system, which I will be uploading tonight!

Ugh, I wish I could join all of this, but I have no idea how to make VMTs or anything else......

I think Imma try to learn, so that I don't end up on the outside of the fun....

I'll be willing to whip up VMT's for ya if you supply the textures

Last edited:

FissionMetroid101

L2: Junior Member
Jan 27, 2010
Just got showed this thread and I would be more than happy to pitch in some particles for y'all! I would definitely kill to make some Auroras or some snowy effects of the sort. I could also make some water splashing and snowy explosions if people would want'em. I'm open to any ideas if someone's got something in mind. I'm very preoccupied at the moment, but I can try to start this weekend.

I do hope to see a wooden cut-out of a polar bear outta this though

Last edited:

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
Wow, the fifth page has so much stuff in it my potato phone can't access it.

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
Just got showed this thread and I would be more than happy to pitch in some particles for y'all! I would definitely kill to make some Auroras or some snowy effects of the sort. I could also make some water splashing and snowy explosions if people would want'em. I'm open to any ideas if someone's got something in mind. I'm very preoccupied at the moment, but I can try to start this weekend.

I do hope to see a wooden cut-out of a polar bear outta this though

When the ball gets rolling I'll be sure to contact you!

BigBros

Aug 20, 2014
I am just playing around with some blends and textures at the moment to show you what I can do - am happy to help as long as you like my content :D

Status
Not open for further replies.