I interviewed with Valve today

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by YM, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Freyja

aa Freyja It hurt itself in it's confusion!

Positive Ratings:
    Aww, that sucks YM. I think we were all rooting for you, me especially. I would have been very interested to find out how valve worked with people overseas.

2. The Wiggin

The Wiggin L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Bad luck man, congrats on even getting looked at though, thats more than most of us can dream of. Stick at it

3. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, congratulations at being looked at.

4. TheKieranator

TheKieranator L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    In the butt.

On a serious note, I'm honestly surprised they rejected you. You're the most qualified guy I vaguely know for the job. They do know you made Hoodoo and Mann Manor, right?

5. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    Damnnnn, I felt crushed when you said you didn't get a face to face interview. Well, back to strata with you! I'm starting to like that map a lot.

6. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    If you get hired, can you maybe find out what happened to my PackBSP swag I sent them? I fear it was detonated by a bomb squad or something.

Can point out nearby lunch zones in return ;)

7. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:
    gabe's beard grows off of the failures of job interviews

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  8. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    good luck to you sir
    and since you donĀ“t need luck
    good to you sir!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    They'd phone interview you, described in this thread, took 50 minutes with two of their designers.
    Then within a few days they'll get back to you and if they want to interview you further they'd arrange to fly you out and put you up in a hotel whilst they do that. I've heard that interview can take all day and they'll tell you at the end of the day if they want to hire you or not, and if you're really not suitable they'll cut it short so they're not wasting anyone's time.

I'm not surprised, My portfolio isn't broad, it's a bunch of TF2 maps and just that. I can't prove I'd add value to the whole company by demonstrating I'm good at only one game.

They said I need to work on some single player and to do something outside the norm.

• Thanks Thanks x 9
  10. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds like you need to join a for-real modding team. Maybe hit up the Black Mesa guys sometime, see if you can't help that thing get released within the next decade or so.

11. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Or start your own. I don't doubt that your source, modelling, and coding skills, not to mention your mapping pedigree, could allow you to prove to any group of interested developers that you arent simply the "ideas guy"

12. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Did you just say "for-real modding team" and "Black Mesa" in the same sentence?

Oh, no, you didn't. I'm definitely going to assume your two sentences are completely unrelated. It's for your own benefit.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  13. Sel

Sel Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Go make yourself something in Amnesia. They could desperately use more competent developers there.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  14. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    That's what I was thinking. Single player and non-mainstream, with a focus on atmosphere and player direction...

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. Kiddnils

Kiddnils L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    And I believed I could work someday there, how stupid I was. I will never reach your skill-leavel in any form. Good luck for the future anyways.

16. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    ... I keep meaning to buy Amnesia. Yet am too much of a panzy to do so.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. honeymustard

honeymustard L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    You'd be surprised.

18. Sel

Sel Banned

Positive Ratings:
    The only thing stopping you is that attitude. Neither Valve, YM, or anyone else on the internet you might regard as a god/deity/etc is at some level that is totally unattainable. All it takes to improve your skills in anything is the desire to improve, and the time it takes to practice.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  19. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    Can't settle for less cuz I'm the best!

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  20. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Amnesia is the only game i might have baught if it wasn't for the fact i'd seen gameplay footage and subsequently how many bugs that are in it. I just don't see the gameplay being that entertaining, the best thing the game had to offer was Spike & Barley's hysterical youtube walkthrough.

I'll probably just go grab the skyrim authoring tools after the payload constest. That game needs way more interesting dungeons that cater to more specs than melee.

• Thanks Thanks x 1