I interviewed with Valve today

Sep 1, 2009
grazr I think you would to busy wetting yourself in fear to notice many bugs.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
"Wait, are those two wall-textures Z-fighting? No, my character must just be losing his sanity. Moving on!"

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Funny, I'm maybe halfway through Amnesia so far, and haven't noticed a single bug. It's one of the most straight-up functional games I've ever played. I did see one pretty hilarious bug in Video Games Awesome's playthrough though where the gear they were carrying disappeared into thin air somehow and forced them to reload from the last autosave.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Funny, I'm maybe halfway through Amnesia so far, and haven't noticed a single bug. It's one of the most straight-up functional games I've ever played. I did see one pretty hilarious bug in Video Games Awesome's playthrough though where the gear they were carrying disappeared into thin air somehow and forced them to reload from the last autosave.

To be fair that's because they monkeyed around with it and made it jump/move around extremely fast. It still shouldn't happen but it sure wasn't something a normal player would experience.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I played the demo and didn't enjoy amnesia much. Then I got to the bit with the invisible water monster where there was no clear goal, some impossible jumps to make and it was just utterly ridiculous sooooo yeah.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
I played the demo and didn't enjoy amnesia much. Then I got to the bit with the invisible water monster where there was no clear goal, some impossible jumps to make and it was just utterly ridiculous sooooo yeah.

The proper way to play amnesia, I've found, is with all the lights out, a few beers in, and a friend to be horrified with. I've felt very few adrenaline rushes like running from the water monster and opening doors.

Sep 1, 2009
Also throw a splash of caffinee to spice up the mix Mangy

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I freaking loved amnesia. But the level design tools are TERRIBLE. Just my opinion of them. Really awesome engine though, made me sad the tools weren't up to the same standard.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
I freaking loved amnesia. But the level design tools are TERRIBLE.

*looks at hammer*

rolleyes.gif

No but in all seriousness I'd like to hear what you think is bad about their editing suite, since I've used it a fair bit and found it to be pretty nice and straight forward (aside from some really dumb bugs).

IrishTaxIDriver

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 27, 2008
I freaking loved amnesia. But the level design tools are TERRIBLE. Just my opinion of them. Really awesome engine though, made me sad the tools weren't up to the same standard.

Oh man, I can't wait until you guys see tools intended for internal use only.

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Implying you have seen them?

... Am I missing something important...

Not whatever Valve's internal stuff is. I've been at Raven Software for the past 7 months as a designer, which is why Mark took over Upland and Mill has been left to its own devices.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009

They don't tell you this, for some reason, but you can clear farther jumps if you're holding the run key. You don't even have to take a "running start"; it just literally makes you jump faster somehow.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Not whatever Valve's internal stuff is. I've been at Raven Software for the past 7 months as a designer, which is why Mark took over Upland and Mill has been left to its own devices.

Well shit. Thats pretty darn cool. Environmental designer or level designer?

#minorderailment.

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
Well shit. Thats pretty darn cool. Environmental designer or level designer?

#minorderailment.

Mostly level design, some game. Environment design is mostly artist territory here, where they can make the materials and models they need to fill a space. I share a quad cube with 3 artists and they're pretty cool and wacky. I'd love to post something where I can answer questions / whatnot but I don't think I've been here long enough to be of any help to anyone.

I've been so used to Radiant for the past half a year that I shudder thinking of how terribly my Hammer skills have degraded.

Last edited: