help with packing assests

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

JLuka

L2: Junior Member
Aug 12, 2015
ive followed this tutorial on how to make other people see custom content in my map, all seems good and everything is green.
i put my map in the feedback discord for testing and i open the demo and all i hear is that it was not packed.
(sorry for anyone who had to deal with it)

is there something im doing wrong, when i download and install the custom models i put them in the tf folder and let them automatically go to there folders, should i be putting everything into the custom folder?

Wyvern

Certified TF2 Cartographer
Feb 16, 2018
Idolon did a tutorial centered around TF2 Instead of CS:GO. Each game has different folder in which they hold custom assets, and sometimes packing can get screwed up if you use the wrong folder to put the assets in.

Use this tutorial, and see if it works:

https://tf2maps.net/threads/vide-a-how-to.21661/

JLuka

Aug 12, 2015
thanks, that other tutorial is what i did, ill try compile pal now.
anyone know a way to test if your map is packed, i tried moving my tf folder somewhere else and launching but i cant

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Using the console command sv_pure 2 before launching into your map will cause the engine to ignore all custom content not packed directly into the BSP. It's the easiest way to test how your map will look in the eyes of players who haven't downloaded any special content packs.

JLuka

Aug 12, 2015
ive tried that a while ago but my game kept crashing, i think i loaded the map typed 'sv_pure 2' and then 'retry'

JLuka

Aug 12, 2015
just tried the sv_pure 2 thing and did a changelevel and it crashed

obodobear

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 15, 2016
When you said you moved your tf folder did you mean the entire thing, or just the tf folder contents? Because if you move the whole folder the game won't launch

Dead Plant

L1: Registered
Sep 27, 2018
I used to have a the same problem. Try playing around with CompilePal settings- you should be compiling on Normal, and once you have that selected, press "Add" and find "Pack". Then you should be good to compile whatever you want.

JLuka

Aug 12, 2015
ive done that, compile pal worked perfectly. my map had an ok play test with other folks