Harbor

CP Harbor A5

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
Well, if is a hard map i just need 1 person to tell me that not everybody! Only 1 person here support me with this map, only 1 person, the rest was saying that its too hard and i cant do it... and now you say that you dont want to put me down, then what are you trying?, i know its a hard map, its not neccesary that everybody reminds me that and tell me that im not experienced mapper, that only depresses me.

I dont know what you see when you watch me...
Keep working on the map if you want, I don't care.

But what I'm trying to say to you is that- you're not quite skilled enough, tyler is a very accomplished mapper and I don't think you can quite so easily take his map which he spent months working on and iterating and continue doing just that. I'm trying to encourage you to scale yourself back, and give yourself a smaller goal. This is a huge project, and I can just tell you're going to give up on it at some point because you "aren't getting feedback".

You don't seem to understand how map iteration works, or flat out how development is supposed to work. If you don't have your own ideas don't just go ride off the back of someone else's work, detail it, and call it your own.

Creating a map requires a lot of love and effort, but given how far you got with Ixem before just complaining that it was a Byre rip-off (which everyone else argued it wasn't), I don't think you really want to put love or effort into a map.

I want to ask you a question: what is your goal? What do you want out of mapping?

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Keep working on the map if you want, I don't care.

But what I'm trying to say to you is that- you're not quite skilled enough, tyler is a very accomplished mapper and I don't think you can quite so easily take his map which he spent months working on and iterating and continue doing just that. I'm trying to encourage you to scale yourself back, and give yourself a smaller goal. This is a huge project, and I can just tell you're going to give up on it at some point because you "aren't getting feedback".

You don't seem to understand how map iteration works, or flat out how development is supposed to work. If you don't have your own ideas don't just go ride off the back of someone else's work, detail it, and call it your own.

Creating a map requires a lot of love and effort, but given how far you got with Ixem before just complaining that it was a Byre rip-off (which everyone else argued it wasn't), I don't think you really want to put love or effort into a map.

I want to ask you a question: what is your goal? What do you want out of mapping?
Mapping... and about the goal.. well, i said one time and i said it again, make a map of every gamemode... i know it will take time...

Startacker!

WANT ME TO BE REAL? MAKE ME.
aa
Jun 15, 2013

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014

Startacker!

WANT ME TO BE REAL? MAKE ME.
aa
Jun 15, 2013
According to the site, it was made 8 years ago, so the creator of that map probably won't mind.
It's probably still a good idea to change it to avoid any conflicting files

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
It's probably still a good idea to change it to avoid any conflicting files
I doubt there will be any. The mapper used just "cp_harbor", without any version, for the map. For the second version, he added a "_v2". All TMB needs to do is not have any "_v" versions.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
I doubt there will be any. The mapper used just "cp_harbor", without any version, for the map. For the second version, he added a "_v2". All TMB needs to do is not have any "_v" versions.
Nvermind, ill change the name...

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
If you're changing the name, keep in mind the theme Tyler had in mind. He wanted the first third to be granary-esque, second third industrial, and last third a missile launch zone

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
If you're changing the name, keep in mind the theme Tyler had in mind. He wanted the first third to be granary-esque, second third industrial, and last third a missile launch zone
Not again... Im gonna change the ambient of the map cause i didnt like it! So now it will be a maritime city ambient!

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Not again... Im gonna change the ambient of the map cause i didnt like it! So now it will be a maritime city ambient!

Sure, but you might want to use as little of the Bulletcrops' Maritime props and textures as possible.

I don't remember the exact reason, but It might have to do with so many contributors contributors that we don't know who did what.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Anyways, im gonna remake all the map entire, by zero! Its the only way to fix the map!

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Sure, but you might want to use as little of the Bulletcrops' Maritime props and textures as possible.

I don't remember the exact reason, but It might have to do with so many contributors contributors that we don't know who did what.
Im not gonna use them, in fact im thinking in use the frontline assests..

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
yes... its more hard try to edit that than remake it enterily
That kinda is the whole point of orphaning a map: to have it being continued (not remade from scratch) by other mappers. Redo areas/paths that need changing, sure, but that does not mean you can just delete everything and start from absolute 0. Might as well call it a completely new map that is in no way related to Theory so others can pick it up.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Might as well call it a completely new map that is in no way related to Theory so others can pick it up.

Theory was, and is always able to be picked up by anyone else no matter who is working on it. It is an open alpha.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
That kinda is the whole point of orphaning a map: to have it being continued (not remade from scratch) by other mappers. Redo areas/paths that need changing, sure, but that does not mean you can just delete everything and start from absolute 0. Might as well call it a completely new map that is in no way related to Theory so others can pick it up.
Im remaking it but no from zero, you will see, you probably dont notice that was remaked

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Theory was, and is always able to be picked up by anyone else no matter who is working on it. It is an open alpha.
Better only one for work in that stuff, we dont want to see many versions of that map right?

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Better only one for work in that stuff, we dont want to see many versions of that map right?

No, that's not how it works, anyone else can pick up Theory and turn it into their own version. The original VMF is still open for all to edit and release as their own versions of the map.