Hamr Online - A map prototyping tool

Hamr Online - A map prototyping tool Alpha-Displacements

andonin

L2: Junior Member
Oct 1, 2011
This is gonna look beautiful when it comes out of pre-alpha! And really complicated to new users
I am a <decent> code monkey, but UX-UI is not my strong suit. Any feedback on how to make it better would be loved!

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
ACK I will post details in the overview... I take to much for granted

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
  • Added lighting to preview mode
  • Added TF2 themed surface materials
  • Building objects are now color coordinated
  • Fixed Portals not loading position correctly
  • Fixed something I can't recall (minor bug)

Read the rest of this update entry...

BenCo

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 30, 2015
Which code language do you use to make this? My guess is Java because it's in-browser or Unity?

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
The original project was built in golang. I'm porting parts at a time to JS, as well as adding new code!

Zloykotara

L1: Registered
Jul 21, 2015
How do i use this tool? When it launches it has only white screen with some panels but none of them work
upload_2016-8-12_23-17-59.png

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
How do i use this tool? When it launches it has only white screen with some panels but none of them work
This problem was solved by enabling Hardware Acceleration. Thank you for finding this issue Zloykotara.

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
  • Added wall cuts for rooms that intersect floor borders (useful for overhangs)
  • Fixed an issue with color coordination of floors
  • Adding Portals/Rooms to a building now places those objects near the building, not at the origin
  • Dragging the bottom floor of a building now moves all of the building

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
  • Platforms can now be added to rooms, these are raised ground that can be used for height differences, catwalks, and more
  • Minor bug fixes that were to unimportant to remember (if only I used git)

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
This is looking really neat, its pretty awesome what you can do with it. With those ceilings / floors on the screenshots above, i see that to prevent them being invalid they are split diagonally from corner to corner. Is that a quirk of .Vmf generation? Because if not it would likely be neater to have it sliced in a not diagonal line to make a larger and a smaller brush for the floor & ceiling.

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
Because I'm lazy >.> in all seriousness that algorithm is a planned feature but is not trivial to implement.

I guess I'll explain why geometry is as it is right now in case any one is interested: (it also helps me when I look at something and wonder what the **** I was thinking.)

Walls:
  • It is set up so that interior walls and exterior walls are always separate brushes. Thos guarantees I can make rooms completely independent of exterior walls and allow for interior rooms to not be as strictly dictated by exterior walls as they might be in a real building.
  • It is also set up so that exterior brushes can have a roof plopped on top of them (which is what I'm working on next.) The diagonal cut of walls is just a way of guaranteeing the geometry generated for any* room is valid.

Ceiling/Floors:
  • Their shape is just a triangulated form room perimeter that has has triangles merged to create less confusing geometry. Currently they use a greedy algorithm that just attempts to make the minimum amount of floor brushes. It is not guaranteed to do so, and the produced geometry may not be nice to work with for users, but it isn't difficult to fix with vertex editing. This will change.
Maybe I'll post doors ramps and platforms "inspirations" once I'm sure they work properly. Which reminds me of a bug...

BenCo

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 30, 2015
What do you think how much time it will need to import all the entities from hammer?

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
  • Roofs are now calculated
  • Rudimentary material management for brushes
  • Rooms ceiling and floor surfaces always maintain proper orientation
  • Underfill setting on ramps/platforms saves
  • Ramp width now correctly scales

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
  • Rooms now properly load their elevation
  • Fixed an issue with portals attempting to cut walls they weren't connected to
  • Fixed UV issue with portal frames
  • Fixed UV issue with ramps
  • Fixed room items spawning at twice the correct elevation

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
  • Floors are now external walls and are not ordered (they dont automatically stack)
  • Over hangs are covered (may intersect floors, working on it)
  • Material Override class exists and now platforms and a few other objects are correctly textured

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
This is a HUGE update, with to many hours of work restructuring a lot of spaghetti code into an organized manner. Everything plays a little nicer now and the UI is way better. There are lots of bugs I'm sure, be sure to post them if you find any. Platforms and Ramps will get another update soon to fix underfill again. Terrain will be coming after, then skyboxes and roof clipping!

DONE:
-Door Frame Integration
-Wall Slices
-Wall Slice Merging
-Hamr_Hierarchy (the big bad)
-Class Integration
-Custom Camera Controls (should be familiar)
-middle mouse now selects
-left click now edits
-preview options (hide layers)
-better roof/cover geometry
-ramp slicing
-visualizer focus
-hierarchy menu select
-fixed more UV bugs (and yet more persist)
-fixed portal deletion being broken (by rewriting the entire engine?)
-better surface division (favors fewer brushes)
-lots of surface orientation bugs
-removing/adding is now done from a menu and is much cleaner
-adding an object now requires you to place that object
-lighting integration
-exporting with new system
-platform integration
-ramp clipping
-stair creation
-terrain clipping
-roof clipping