CP Fourth Floor [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
When does a gimmick become a dynamic element beyond an arbitrary limit of how much people like it? Buzzwords can be pretty harmful in a discussion because people don't all have the same definition for it (and they also don't dig any deeper than the surface). The literal definition of a gimmick means that it's something added to something solely for the purpose of attracting attention, but a lot of other connotations have been tacked on just by way that language works.

Instead of using buzzwords, just call things what they are. Dig deeper, too. Instead of calling a dynamic element a gimmick, state that the dynamic element doesn't contribute anything meaningful to the map. Explain why, too! Does the element simply not change the gameplay of the map at all? Is it frustrating to use? Can the element be abused by certain classes to gain an unfair/unfun advantage? Would another less "gimmicky" element do the same job more effectively? Asking these sorts of questions is the first step in making good design choices.

Jul 6, 2015
Dave, in a map thread you posted, you included no screenshots or map download and wouldn't even give any information about what the map contained, only alluding to the possible presence of 'dynamic elements'. The discussion about whether dynamic elements in our contest entries should directly affect gameplay is still ongoing, hasn't yet been addressed by the contest coordinator and is in the contest thread. I do not think you are in a position to police other people's work as you have done here. I suggest you take a step back.
I wasnt policing anything... I was merely trying to understand were his dynamic element came from and worded it oddly. Please stop making me seem like an ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.