Former Cornfield

KotH Former Cornfield rc

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
That point might have a little too much height advantage though. Layout-wise I'd include one or two ledges on either side of the map at or above the point (height-wise) to give less power to its owners.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
Interesting. Looks like a good start.

four starts the charm

That point might have a little too much height advantage though. Layout-wise I'd include one or two ledges on either side of the map at or above the point (height-wise) to give less power to its owners.

i'll see how it goes in a test first ;)

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
coming up:

narrowed point a bit an improved the ramp onto it a bit
koth_cornfield_meet_a70002.jpg

widened area right out of spawn
koth_cornfield_meet_a70001.jpg

reworked warehouse area
koth_cornfield_meet_a70000.jpg

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
some posthighlaner thoughts

people want an extra path onto point but i ont feel like making one. if i o one from the courtyar, it will make the yard too convolute, an if i make it from the warehouse, it will make warehouse too easy to control from the point an break the ynamic of the warehouse being the key area for the unerpoint path which i really ont want to happen. also people seem to be able to get onto point quite well an in sufficient quantity the way it is. it' also make the halfspire into a more generic spire.

the lower paths are a bit useless but the suggestion that i hear - to a a tunnel uner the train to connect both sies - oesnt seem like useful because players will still stay own.i think it' be better if i trie to o something like this - a lil ramp from the lowerpath sie for easier point access.
koth_former_cornfield_a90002.jpg

maybe even a regular oorway instea of a ramp woul be enough.

im a bit concerne about scale. as a heavy, i felt that my shots o a bit more amage than they shoul. though i i get sniped quite a few times so its probably ok.

i was also aske for pickups at the point but i ont feel like it be goo to a a healthkit on a spire. i coul put a little ammobox near there tho it woulnt really matter as usually theres enoughweapons lying aroun.

bonus picture: smoothing groups fail
koth_former_cornfield_a90003.jpg

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
It really needs new way on to the point, there is only two ways for everyone. but soldier and demoman to get on it. One if you consider the fact, once one team owns the point, they are going to be hanging around ther side of the stairs.

Many times only soldiers and demomen (and sometimes heavy, if he manage to get up there alive) tried to cap point while rest of the team usually tried to avoid the clusterfuck that happens around the stairs.

The lower route doesn't really need new route, it needs more cover from pretty much everyone shooting you from the point. Even if you add the new route, there is no point using it as everyone is going to rain death on you from the point. Other problem with the route is, if enemy attacks while you're in the lower part of the route, it is better to just retreat because of the rather large height advantance your attacker has.

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
i ont agree with the "one route" part. ive flanked enemy team on point many times quite successfully running up "their" stairs an shooting some rockets into their backs :p the lower route needs...something. though im honestly fine with it being uneruse as there is more thn one alternate path. ill see what i can o though this time instea of reworking the map from scratch with big huge changes ill try to keep an ont break what i have so ill be oing verrrry tiny steps :)

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
while some places are still pretty bland, there's even an occassional devtexture and the optimization is just waiting to be begun, overall it seems that the future isnt as grim as i believed in the post above and i'll actually submit a map that doesnt look like an alpha for the most part :D

koth_former_cornfield_a100000%20%282%29.jpg

koth_former_cornfield_a100001.jpg

koth_former_cornfield_a100002.jpg

koth_former_cornfield_a100003.jpg

koth_former_cornfield_a100004.jpg

Sergis

aa
Jul 22, 2009
ah, nothing like finding out all your optimization has inexplicably broken and areaportals refuse to work properly a day before deadline :D

All of those look great except this because the ground underneath the rails looks like someone's spine.

dis better
koth_former_cornfield_a100012.jpg

sitebender

L3: Member
Aug 15, 2012
I've played this over on the SPUF forum for a few days. I like it, but I feel demos / pyros are the top class to use. Snipers don't feel useful. It is still a little weird that the safe room is out in the open. You can make a safe room beyond the current safe area, but then that might make it feel like viaduct. I liked it enough to play it a few days :)

NuclearRadio

L1: Registered
Dec 7, 2013
Man, this is what I wanted cp_terminal to look like.
Looks great, man.