CTF_Rock2

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Im not happy with the way the map itself is looking. After trying various texture combos I cant seem to find the right fit, as a prison it either comes out looking to realistic or to much like a stable barn. Im considering changing the style completely, and in doing so probably creating some new texture sets as well as more architectural props.

Heres a quick paint over.

Before
concept2lv4.jpg

After
concept1rj9.jpg

Whats your guys take?

Thanks!

-Buddikaman-

the paint one looks good. and yea the top one looks like a barn. i think its doable with the textures right now. with the paint overlay i can see what you're trying to do. if you can pull it off, it will look amazing.

also, are you going to be publicly releasing those models for public use? ;)

Buddikaman

L3: Member
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks man, honestly the top section will be a prop for the skybox, and will be much more architecturally detailed than that current paint over, so ill have custom texture it.

I really dont know if ill be releasing this stuff or what, altough once the map is out i just might.

-Buddikaman-

Noggin

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2007
How about using the original TFC textures?

Maybe someone on these forums can make them a bit more TF2 style.

I noticed the bases in the new cp_badlands are very TFC style.

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
How about using the original TFC textures?

Yeah, I noticed that valve had a few new textures in Badlands. TBH it looks like all they did was take an existing texture and added more grunge to it...not impressed.

At same time, I really want to create some new texture sets, again, this map is just a way for me to practice and work up my skil set, i really want to add new stuff not just rehash everything.

Im also taking a game art class here in town with the lead artist of bioware as the instructor, hes aware of this project and is having me do things a certain way.

Thanks!

-Buddikaman-

Last edited:

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
I wanted to try using the existing materials one last time before starting from scratch. I created this peice, no lighting just purely conceptual.

concept2mi0.jpg

To me it looks to realistic to dark and gloomy, to boring. Looking for opinions, please, thats why im here.

Thanks!

-Buddikaman-

Last edited:

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Agreed with narkissus, tf2 has here and there some extra parts of a building for deco that stick out a bit and you think 'heh whats that for there' or something, ehm ill post a screen later :p

jamin620

L1: Registered
Jan 30, 2008
I think that looks great. the lighting makes it look painted, which seems in line with tf2 style.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
awesome! now make it more high res, it looks a little blocky (that goes for both model and texture)
:thumbup:

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
Yeah i made it wayyy to low poly. I blurrred the texture cause it had alot of noise, ill mess with it more, but overall its gonna have to due heh!

-Buddikaman-

Last edited:

fartron

Jan 27, 2008
I think that brushwork top you made was just too firm and institutional. It looks like an industrial age nunnery. TF2 looks goofy and rickety until you get to the goofy and solid spytech. I like that newer version, it has more of the whimsy TF2 needs in the structure. Maybe some pipes or chimneys or something implying that it's being used for something.

Voztron

L2: Junior Member
Jan 14, 2008
Thats some good work there.
Its too serious, make it more quirky add some big spytech security cameras and spot lights to that entrance. Even a big neon sign with an arrow "One Way Ticket", goofy stuff like that will look cool.

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
Hey Voztron awesomes ideas man, i should of made it more quirkey TBH. From now on dude, its on.

BTW i got this fucker in game, thanks to everyone who helped!!! Still no lighting lol!

3dsmaxtest1gw1.jpg

3dsmaxtest4ki7.jpg

3dsmaxtest2ax1.jpg

-Buddikaman-

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
wow that does look great, I think perhaps that the grooves in between the blocks in the two tall bits are slightly too big, but I'm nitpicking

Great work! :D

jamin620

Jan 30, 2008
that looks good, but why did you bother to model it? it seems that you could have done that pretty easily in Hammer.

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
that looks good, but why did you bother to model it? it seems that you could have done that pretty easily in Hammer

Ya i guess your right haha. Well least i got something to add to my portfolio i guess.

-Buddikaman-