CTF_Rock2

Sacrifist

L3: Member
Nov 21, 2007
I think you could just forget the clouds where the stars start in. Its a very nice sky dude. I hope you release it because there is a major lack of night time skies for TF2. That cloud you posted just above looks like a mushroom cloud from a nuke that went off in the distance lol.

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
Im thinking of writing a tutorial on skybox creation within photoshop, as there seems to be NONE whatsoever on how to do it. Yeah the cloud looks weak, i already fixed it, and pushed it farther in the distance.

I really really wanted to create a more dark and stormy skybox, but im so far behind on this project its ridicoulous.

Thanks!

-Buddikaman-

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
One down, many to go.

toiletpaperuvcopyal8.jpg

-Buddikaman-

Last edited:

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Check your smoothing groups mate. Apart from that it looks that it will blend in the background very good, which I like.

DrHaphazard

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 6, 2008
Wow your model work is really impressive.

The hazard suit model is a little too realistic i think for a TF2 style thing, although it would probably be an excellent stand-in for now.

Was wondering, however, if you were aware that there are several attempts being made currently at recreating Rock2. Certainly don't want to discourage you from continuing on, your map looks like its coming together well, but don't want you to go through all the trouble and find out theres already another rock2 on the market.

Oh btw I especially love your weight rack, the way the bar is bending from the strain. Absolutely in sync with TF2's cartoony style.

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
Hey, Mind if I use that storm cloud for my volcano/Glacier map?

Im not pre-releasing any more of my custom content untill after the map is out. Sorry man.

Was wondering, however, if you were aware that there are several attempts being made currently at recreating Rock2. Certainly don't want to discourage you from continuing on, your map looks like its coming together well, but don't want you to go through all the trouble and find out theres already another rock2 on the market.

Im aware of a few other versions of Rock2 coming out, my map is for my portfolio. Besides, players can decide which one they like best, if its mine- cool, if not- oh well, i learned alot making it.

Thanks!

-Buddikaman-

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I sincerely hope yours is the most popular, from the amount of effort you are putting in and from the few screenshots we've seen it looks very good :D can't wait

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
I appreciate that. Ive been surprised to receive such a positive gathering from people, as the map basically still looks like crap lol. :)

-Buddikaman-

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
well we don't know that do we! the only screenshots you've shown either show unimportant areas of the map (like the out of bounds stuff we can see below the skybox images) or have been good looking screenshots of an early in developement map.
What you have given us is loads of great looking props to oggle at. which is probably why we like you so much :p

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
pretty cool. needs a vertical seam somewhere and a few more dirty areas.
will these be in an area the player can get to? even better - are they ragdoll?

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
pretty cool. needs a vertical seam somewhere and a few more dirty areas.
will these be in an area the player can get to? even better - are they ragdoll?

heavies training would be sweet.

DrHaphazard

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 6, 2008
Yeah i agree, 2 vertical seams would probably look nice, although i think most punching bags only have one vertical seam. And yeah you need to throw some dirt on it and youll be all set. Looks absolutely amazing.

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
are you going to beat studio in models?

Who's Studio?

Added a zipper, more dirty. Just needs creases, more strap detail, a new "red" logo, and were done.

bagjpght8.jpg

baguvjpghl9.jpg

-Buddikaman-

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
Im not happy with the way the map itself is looking. After trying various texture combos I cant seem to find the right fit, as a prison it either comes out looking to realistic or to much like a stable barn. Im considering changing the style completely, and in doing so probably creating some new texture sets as well as more architectural props.

Heres a quick paint over.

Before
concept2lv4.jpg

After
concept1rj9.jpg

Whats your guys take?

Thanks!

-Buddikaman-

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
the paint over looks good, you'll need those brick textures from well.
Another reason the top screenshot doesn't look very good: there isnt much variation, you have big spaces with the same texture and your brushwork isnt amazingly detailed