CTF_Rock2

Buddikaman

L3: Member
Dec 31, 2007
re

I still wouldn't make it that dark, dusk dawn or something would fit better.

Snipergen, this ones for you buddy.

rock2fuckupsky1jp7.jpg

For some reason my skybox is being shaded within hammer, breaking the illusion of a seamless sky. It didnt do that to me originally, anyone know whats up? Ill have to redo it anyways, its way over saturated, the gradients end to abrubt, the clouds look lifeless, and its to rainbow for Rock2.

Thanks!

-Buddikaman-

Last edited:

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Oooh It's beautifull!!! Really really nice! Just the yellow to orange and BAM, a nice mood and skybox. Great job man!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
The skybox looks nice :D
but that building has some serious lighting issues

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Thats ok then. You will need to make sure that your light_env has a suitable colour to match the skybox. Also if you have a fog controller it should be coloured similar to the sky colour at the horizon.

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
Finished the skybox texture today, minus the cloud materials. Looking for crits/suggeestions!

Youme- Thanks for the advice, i went and added the lighting. Whats a good way to set up the fog controller?(3d skybox, settings, ect)

Snipergen- I made it look more dusk/early morning, does it still retain the night time feel?

rock2fuckup0007te2.jpg

rock2fuckupsky1vn0.jpg

Cheers!

-Buddikaman

Last edited:

Crimson

Nov 25, 2007
Oh man, that is gorgeous. That fits the TF2 styling right down to a T, and conveys night well.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
THATS IT!! Thats close enough to what I mean. Great great job. Now please, continue ;)

roninmodern

Feb 5, 2008
This looks great, and I love how you're keeping with the stylized look of TF2. So many of the mappers out there aren't doing that and it honestly disappoints me,

What you've done looks like it took a lot of effort!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Well the background texture looks good, but the clouds over the top don't look quite right, The strong coulds in the center of the screenshots look very 'photoshop liquified' (like the smudge tool) whilst the fainter ones around the edges look great. I'd suggest tonight you take a few pictures of clouds (no just at dawn/dusk times) then adjusting the colours in photoshop (or whatever you are using). Once the colours match and you've got it at a decent opacity and it looks right, paint over it slightly to give it a little more TF2 feel. The TF2 skys are quite realistic if you notice.

About the fog controler, find the entity and give it a start distance of 0 and an end distance of somewhere between 5000 and 20000 depending how thick you want it. pick two colours that are similar to the horizon colour for the two colours. then just copy/paste certain bits of that info into your sky_camera.
For the light_environment - its up to trial and error. if the moon is visible then you will want the light coming from that angle, if not then from the horizon. As its that dusk type lighting you will probably also want a high difuse on the lighting. i think its sun spread angle, a high value will be best (not sure what values it works with, try values starting from 10+)
Then of course, you want a shadow_control with identical angles to the light_env...

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
I wasn't going to say anything because I'd rather see you work more on other parts of the map, but Youme brought it up... I agree that the clouds look photoshopped. Liquify, smudge... anyone who's used photoshop will be able to tell. Check the clouds from the Hydro and Granary skyboxes for more reference.

lerlerson

L2: Junior Member
Nov 27, 2007
Wow, that skybox is GORGEOUS, please tell me you're going to release it to the public!

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
To be honest, i half assed the clouds because i wanted to test a perspective theory on skybox creation that was causing the skybox to not appear seamless at its edges. I think i figured it out, so chances are ill probably go back and really make the clouds look good.

There is no real tutorials on proper skybox creation, it took alot of effort to figure out the workflow and get the colors right!

Thanks!

-Buddikaman-

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
I plan to take another shot at that skybox in the future, am currently focusing on modeling, unwrapping, and texturing my props, as well as brainstorming up a few custom textures, as the more custom content in the map, the happier ill be.

Practicing cloud shapes, i created this as a material, heres a screenshot of a older darker version of the same cloud. It has a fairly intricate lightning/thunder system set up, including sound, which looks pretty sweet in game!

-Buddikaman-

Last edited:

Scoobingsthe2nd

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 11, 2007
I'm not sure what I'm looking at utility wise.... That seems like something you'd wanna slap in a 3d sky box. It looks out of place though color wise.