Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
I'd totally put a dragon in castle.

Well not really, but if I had a dragon model back then i'd probably do it :p

Buddikaman

L3: Member
Dec 31, 2007
Im looking for some feedback on a custom texture i made today, its meant to mimick acoustic tiles which are used as ceilings in many facilities. I was surprised to see TF2 didnt have one and used it as an escuse to work on my texturing, so here is a shot of the unfinished texture.

tf2mapstilesun6.jpg

Early version screenshot

rock2backup010001yt6.jpg

Thanks!

-Buddikaman-

Last edited:

Kernel

L1: Registered
Nov 7, 2007
everything looks real nice so far, If your interested in doing some other work, sign up here: http://tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=458, would ne honored to have you working with that project. Rock2 was a good map, your version should be a hit.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I wish i had so much time to make all custom stuff. Bah :(
Btw looks great man. You use max i suppose for modeling?

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
This is looking amazing, I especially like those ceiling tiles you made.

And what is this about it being a paid map pack? how are they going to enforce that? When you join a TF2 server it auto-downloads, are they going to block that with these new maps? That seems kinda lame that they only released the game with 6 maps and now they want you to pay for the rest of the content which should have come with the game.

Last edited:
B

Big Nick Digger

looks neat. I wish I knew how (and had time) to model.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Also...name it whatever you want

S

Squirrelly

keep modeling dude!

the props look great & u'll only get better.

rock2 was a really fun map in tfc, but it was kinda too large and separated, not a lot of action except for a few areas at times. If u focus on overall gameplay and don't stay super strict to the old layout, i think it will sweet. The main point of rock2 was to turn on the other teams gas and get a suit to survive, so if u base ur map on that, it will be a blast.

Gas suit looks sweet too!

ill probably contact you later when i start working on props again.

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
keep modeling dude!

Thanks for your support. Im actually about to start modeling a helicopter today for the map. I got the crazy idea to have a helicopter flying around the yard as if patrolling, so on top of modeling and texturing the sob, i am also trying to get a handle on importing scripted animations into source, as path_track's are much to simplistic. So mapping is being put on hold for a while while I do this, i am also moving to a new city and starting a new job this week. Ill update as I progress.

-Buddikaman-

S

Squirrelly

sweet.

yea just keep doing whatever you love, u could really help out in the future with mods and stuff since u can do multiple things, model, texture, animate, map, etc...

also i just noticed that on the bench press model, one side of the barbell has more weights than the other, haha its no biggie at all, just thought it was kinda funny i noticed it.

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
Haha, yeah. I took one off and resized it to fit a 45 pnd plate and just never put them back on, the others are more like 100 pnd plates. :)

-Buddikaman-

Last edited:

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
Helicopter

I just started this today, it still has a longgg ways to go, but you can get an idea were its going.

modelcopter01wg2.jpg

modelcopter02ou0.jpg

Cheers!

-Buddikaman-

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
I would go more deep than i have into modeling, but its such a pain in the a** just to get the textures on them, is that why most of yours we are seeing are grey?

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
I would go more deep than i have into modeling, but its such a pain in the a** just to get the textures on them, is that why most of yours we are seeing are grey?

From what I know about 3d design, you start off with just building the object, then, after the object has been fully designed you work on skinning it with colors and textures.

It starts off in a solid color (Imagine you are making a clay sculpture) then after you finish sculpting it you work on the details.

H

Haas

Here is a overview picture you can put this on your model and make a render then fill in the colors in photoshop.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
you are wrong haas. Models need to be unwrapped first. This picture is just to see if every polygon has the same space (eg if its properly unwrapped).

Buddikaman

Dec 31, 2007
Sorry for a slow reply, Ive been busy moving ;)

The main reason the models ive shown(for tf2) havent been unwrapped and textured is because I decided to create the basic level first as opposed to making the props. However now that I am more fluent with source, I can turn back to creating the props, and the different texture maps they need.

And yeah, its definatly true, texturing and "especially" Unwrapping is a HUGE pain in the ass, to me way harder than modeling. As for texturing however, its really more about basic fine art skills(shading, color theory, ect) than knowing how to navigate a program. Its a challenge because you have to balance both learning the programs becoming fluent with them, and than working on your fine art skills at the same time. Sometimes I think its best to just stop worrying about learning a program or tutorials and just practice your core art skills, because thats what makes you a artist.

For example, these were done as excersises with the sole purpose of improving basic shading(pic1) and working with colors in photoshop(pic2). And yes im still not that good, lol.

drawingdz6.jpg

axeskullng1.jpg

-Buddikaman-