Contest idea thread!

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
I thought we had a Gravelpit-style contest before.

Argh, don't know my site history!

:blushing:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
This is my obligatory reinforcement of an idea posted multiple times by at least myself in this thread, which is a model/texture/asset creation contest. A lot of arguments against this proposal have been that TF2M is about custom maps--but so much about custom mapping is about custom materials, and given the influence of custom materials in tf2 in it's current state, this is an absolutely realistic proposal. Such a contest could only benefit custom tf2 mapping. And it doesn't only have to be about creating them, I think a contest such as this would need to see the entries represented by implementing them in the source engine, seeing them displayed in tf2.

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
Would it be then really hard to vote between models and textures? I mean, how you could say that this texture is better than that model? Or should they be in different categories?

I also don't think there will be so many people joining since not many of us actually know how to make proper models and textures.

I am okay to have model/texture/asset creation contest as a "side"-contest but I would like to keep major contests as mapping contests.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
While I do agree with Rexy about custom assets being a vital part of TF2 mapping, my personal opinion about new models and materials is slightly different from his.

In my mind, a map that looks great, plays great, and utilises old assets in new ways will usually, if not always, be more appreciated than one which uses brand new materials. I guess that what I’m trying to say is if I manage to make something new and original from things that are dry and overused, I’ll be more proud of myself than if I were to make something with 100 megs of custom content. For this reason, whenever the subject of the next contest arises, I usually suggest 5CP or multistage A/D. Sure, there are many custom maps which fit into the aforementioned categories; during contests, however, entrants find as many ways to stand out from the others as possible, and what better way to stand out than to successfully revive an old gamemode/theme/asset list?

I realise that some (if not most) of you will disagree, but I’d like to see a contest based on the use of assets in a completely new and original way with as little custom content as possible.

tl;dr
quarry_rockpike.mdl contest go

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I agree with you for the most part, but my concern is that all the materials/models that exist have been subjected to so much overuse that new content is desperately needed in my opinion.

What I was thinking was something along the lines of a small setup theme, maybe 2-3 new textures with 2-3 new models. So it would be a thematic setup. For instance, say, 2-3 new spytech models and textures. Or 2-3 new alpine models and textures. Something small but still useful for any applications. For a contest like this no one would need to create a whole massive variety of assets, just focus on making around 6 quality assets, and then arrange them in a small scene in tf2 with any existing assets if you'd prefer and use it to create a screenshot. A mini-environment in tf2.

With participants creating as few items as possible and focusing on quality over quantity, I would imagine a good assortment of usable assets to come out of a contest like this.

Last edited:

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
I want a contest not mapping creation related. Just for once, I'd like to sit down in Photoshop and create a skybox. So ah, a skybox texture/ normal texture creation.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
How about a mini contest with something like the following:

Create three (3) models fitting to the Alpine Theme
Create three (3) textures fitting to the Alpine Theme
Create one (1) overlay fitting to the Alpine Theme
Showcase your seven creations in a 1048x1048 detailed area.
Whoever made the best creations that fit in with the Alpine Theme would win, decided upon by community opinion (not a poll though - people have to explain why they chose who they chose)

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Custom content contests can certainly create cool concepts. Contributing comrades could crudely collaborate, causing community catastrophe?

Craptasticly cryptic context. Case closed.

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Kinda Prestige's idea, kinda not: even number of participants allowed, each draws a number. Whoever gets number 1 collabs with number 2, number 3 with 4, so on.

Zhan

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 18, 2010
Kinda Prestige's idea, kinda not: even number of participants allowed, each draws a number. Whoever gets number 1 collabs with number 2, number 3 with 4, so on.

Possible, but I think half the people who enter would end up complaining about how useless their partner is, which would piss off the less experienced contestants.

ardysqrrl

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 26, 2009
make a map entirely sticking to a 64-unit grid, without exception