Contest idea thread!

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
now what in tarnations did he go and do that fur?

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
LOL! I totally missed that... hmmm, poor Tony... Obviously something got under his skin...

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
Another Art Pass Contest might be a cool idea. But if it happens, it shouldn't happen for a little while since we just had the official one.

And unlike the official one, the map being used should play well. :p Perhaps a symmetrical game mode next time?

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
That's essentially the same as 2fort_rainy and badwater_night and all the other Valve map remakes (bad). Remakes of existing maps are usually frowned upon here, so that might not work so well.

3Dnj

Ducks
aa
Dec 21, 2008
I'm playing battlefield bad company 2 atm and I was thinking Rush and/or conquest gameplay should work in TF2. For a gampeplay based contest, that's could be cool.

Apr 19, 2009
I don't think ether of those would really "work" in TF2.

Rush would have problems because their is currently no er clean way to display the health of the object on the HUD. I also fear that it would suffer from massive amounts of spam.

As for Conquest we kinda already have that mode in TF2, its called 5CP.

Sorry to sound like a negative Nancy but unless Valve add specific support for those modes. I don't see them working too well.

tovilovan

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 23, 2008
Well conquest is not nearly like the push 5-cp gamemode of TF2. It would be more like a gravel pit where all caps are open at the start and either team can cap all three points. I fear that would be a bit too messy though. Nobody would know where to run, and the excellent gameflow in tf2 built around ubercharges would probably be broken.

(The reason why havent entered any of the contests thus far is because) I think there's a problem with the contests always trying to do something new. It's hard to come up with something in a gamemode that you don't know how it works (or if it even works) whatsoever. We saw a few neat takes on the push ctf gamemode but as many failed, nobody really likes PLR due to it's very imminent stalemateness (correct me if I'm wrong) and competitive ctf is broken since 2007. If we'd focused on gamemodes that we know and where we can take inspiration from existing maps, I think the chance of producing good maps is a lot bigger!

My proposal for a contest is simply A/D cp - a gamemode that most people love in both Dustbowl (despite its flaws) and Gravel Pit (which is one of my favourite TF2 maps both from a pub and comp perspective). This will give people rather free hands to do something new, while still sticking to a gamemode that we know works!