Contest idea thread!

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
There's a reason why Valve chose the gamemodes that exist at the moment, and didn't go back to TFC's A/D CTF. To be fair, the contest entries have been brilliant, but the gamemode ends up being A/D CP only with "woops forgot the intel" and "woops forgot to stand on the point, good defense instantly ruined" all too often.
Well yes, but I was talking about new gamemodes in genereal. A/D is "New" but it's really an old gamemode that valve made a better version of

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I want you to try a tc map on your own.

No seriously i do.

:facepalm:

Its the hardest mode ever to map for.

Fair enough, I don't have enough experience with Hammer to know that. Scrap that, then.

Jonah said:
Well yes, but I was talking about new gamemodes in genereal. A/D is "New" but it's really an old gamemode that valve made a better version of

Yeah, but what do you suggest then? Every successful new gamemode has been a slight twist on an older one, usually with very similar mechanics (Meridian, Steel). I think it's better to have people invent those particular twists themselves instead of forcing these "new gamemodes" on them.

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
There's a reason why Valve chose the gamemodes that exist at the moment, and didn't go back to TFC's A/D CTF.

I have a hard time when anyone says you should/shouldn't do something because Valve did or didn't so something. I see it basically as a pointless argument, there is absolutely no reason people shouldn't try things if Valve hasn't done them.

If we're talking underused game modes, I would suggest something like cp_steel. I think it's one of the most undervalued cp maps out there, and I haven't played it in forever because I can't find a decent server that runs it. I personally just find it a very refreshing take on A/D cp maps in general with a lot of potential.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
The game mode changes valve made (no flags for dustbowl, payload instead of VIP) were to make things better/easier for the masses and those who don't play with teamwork. This doesn't mean the old ideas are any less valid or are less fun. They just require different play.

(wait, why is this discussion going on here? <.<)

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Because we were talking about having custom game modes as a contest.

I didn't say you shouldn't do anything Valve didn't do, by the way. That'd be silly.

Nov 14, 2009
Can the next contest be a 5-CP one? I have always loved that game mode, and it is usually pretty easy to balance :p

Another idea would be to not have this be a contest per-se but a huge community TC map. It would be an enormous map (16?25?) with each person making a section of it. I duno, just an idea I thought of...

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
As far as i know, the game mode of the next contest is already set, but we will only know it when it starts ;)

And believe me, 5cp isnt that easy to balance, i have already nearly 10 versions of demolition tested, and its still not finished (though it was my first really planned map).

There is already a community project like you mentioned, must be somewhere in the forum.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Total 2fort overhauling.

Nov 14, 2009
As far as i know, the game mode of the next contest is already set, but we will only know it when it starts ;)

And believe me, 5cp isnt that easy to balance, i have already nearly 10 versions of demolition tested, and its still not finished (though it was my first really planned map).

There is already a community project like you mentioned, must be somewhere in the forum.

really? What is it?
Im gona start making a map RIGHT NOW!

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Just plain old CTF map contest.

Actually do-able for people with tight schedules and it even ahs the chance to be played by the non mappers community/ more likely to be endorsed by valave.

IMO it was a bit foolish having the A/D CTF contest, all those people put so much work into maps that most likely won't even be played again.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
There is more to mapping than just trying to get an endorsement :/

It was most certainly not a waste of time nor effort.

Last edited:

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Just plain old CTF map contest.

Actually do-able for people with tight schedules and it even ahs the chance to be played by the non mappers community/ more likely to be endorsed by valave.

IMO it was a bit foolish having the A/D CTF contest, all those people put so much work into maps that most likely won't even be played again.

I wasn't going to comment on this...but I can't resist, dismissing so many good maps at once, while endorsing standard ctf is too irritating.

Guess what maps don't get played? Plain old ctf maps, doesn't that make your point about the contest...rather redundant? I honestly can't think of any plain ctf maps that are in the rotation of the 6 custom map servers I have added. Yet they all seem to have several of the contest entries running.
<_<

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2009
Is the next contest modeling?
If it is, can the one after than be either a dusbowl style 3 stage one, or maybe a 3 CP gravelpit?

Those are amazing gamemodes, and the ones out there dont do them true justice.