Contest idea thread!

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
Oh yeah, a modeling contest would be great.

I suggest giving it a theme of small, wide useable models. Both the swamp theme and the alpine theme could use more models for detailing :)

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
A modelling contest would be good for a small comp, I wouldn't enter though. I have trouble enough in hammer as it is, without adding more for me to learn xD

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
Depending on the theme, like Swamp Model Contest (boo!) or Awesome Gun Detail Prop for a TF2 Fortress (yay!) I could go either way, but I am generally in favor of a model contest.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
I still am more into mapping contests here. Those usualy give more usefull results to me (more maps! allways good) Its tf2maps.net after all. I cant model anyway so even if there is a model contest i wont be in it.

However, as koth is new a koth contest would be great. The map often dont have to be that large and so it can work quite well next to a model contest also.

For a larger contest i would like to see a custom gamemode idea:
- The hud must working. No ugly workarrounds allowed (like the dom % counter or my old TC PLR blue pusher counter)
- Late beta or RC maps at the start of the event are excluded (and my TC PLR map also then - otherwise i would have an unfair advantage as the event idea was based on my map. the late beta and RC rule is to prevent meridian scaring the ones who start a new map)
- The custom gamemode can be any gamemode as long as there isnt any valve map released using that gamemode. And the gamemode may not be too close to an existing valve map either (linear 3cp, steel like 3cp or regular pl with 1 cart using the plr system instead of the receding are therefor not allowed). Note, if it requires a big workarround to get the hud still working its fine (making 3 stage koth for example allowed, same with any TC system that isnt like hydro - CTF, Koth, PLR). Also, the A/D CTF is excluded due to the previous contest.
- Assistance from other mappers in the entity system is allowed. However, they may not work on the map at all. so youll have to implement the system yourself.
- For payload maps: If you include a normal CP its allowed to show it on the hud as long as you place it smart and ensure it remains clear how the hud works.

A reason why i said that the hud should be working is to ensure the map is easy to understand.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
Alias, often times, new gamemodes require new HUDs. You cannot make your own HUDs. Unless by new gamemodes, you speak of changing up ABC CP and making it like Reaction, or making a circular payload, or circular a/d ctf, etc.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
No, I think they're a good idea. You learn so much more and with everyone taking a different approach to level design, we get more diverse maps. For example, look at our A/D CTF entries: We have slate with a lot of open areas, and snowdrift which is a bit more cramped. We've got multistage and single stage, flag spawning in base and flag spawning at the capped point... And then compare them to the plr maps, many of which work very similarly to pipeline.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
No, I think they're a good idea. You learn so much more and with everyone taking a different approach to level design, we get more diverse maps. For example, look at our A/D CTF entries: We have slate with a lot of open areas, and snowdrift which is a bit more cramped. We've got multistage and single stage, flag spawning in base and flag spawning at the capped point... And then compare them to the plr maps, many of which work very similarly to pipeline.

Because nobody's original and thought of making a cool PLR map.

strangemodule

L5: Dapper Member
Sep 10, 2009
Because nobody's original and thought of making a cool PLR map.

To be fair, the PLR maps are going to feel less innovative than A/D CTF maps, because A/D CTF has the advantage of combining two gamemodes, thus feeling unique right from the start. PLR maps are going to feel like Pipeline because well, it's just one gamemode.

The maps themselves (for PLR) look pretty interesting to me.

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
A/D CTF doesn't really combine the two modes at all. The CTF element isn't present at all outside of the intel.

Really, A/D CTF just has more room for originality than PLR.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
To be fair, the PLR maps are going to feel less innovative than A/D CTF maps, because A/D CTF has the advantage of combining two gamemodes, thus feeling unique right from the start. PLR maps are going to feel like Pipeline because well, it's just one gamemode.

The maps themselves (for PLR) look pretty interesting to me.

Nonsense. You can do crazy stuff with PLR. You can have multiple control points in one round, you can have regular payload timers that push carts back, or you can be highwind.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
I think Dustbowl/Egypt-styled CP maps are surprisingly scarce. A contest focusing on those would be very successful considering how popular the gamemode is.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008

There's a reason why Valve chose the gamemodes that exist at the moment, and didn't go back to TFC's A/D CTF. To be fair, the contest entries have been brilliant, but the gamemode ends up being A/D CP only with "woops forgot the intel" and "woops forgot to stand on the point, good defense instantly ruined" all too often.

If we're wanting to do a creative gamemode, try TC. There have been, what? TWO custom TC maps, ever? I'm sure that for example combining it with KOTH (one CP per round until the final round) or CTF (like Meridian) or even PLR (like Ramparts).

I don't think the Valve gamemodes make for less diverse maps. Instead, I think they make certain they're always playable to a certain degree but people around here are creative enough to find great twists to them that make it interesting for people who think the modes grew stale.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
If we're wanting to do a creative gamemode, try TC. There have been, what? TWO custom TC maps, ever? I'm sure that for example combining it with KOTH (one CP per round until the final round) or CTF (like Meridian) or even PLR (like Ramparts).

I want you to try a tc map on your own.

No seriously i do.

:facepalm:

Its the hardest mode ever to map for.