Contest idea thread!

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
how should people know what to do afterwards, when they don't know how the next one will be :eek:

or did i (probably) miss something ?

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Well i wouldn't advise moddelling as many people can't model, and i wouldn't advise texturing becuase it's a bit too easy-ish. So it'd probably ahve to be a forum related thing, a map, or a prefab. :)

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
After the next big one, I say we have an Arena/Koth Contest. Like, you have the choice of either Koth or Arena.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
They said the nect contest will be something smaller, and easier to set up. SO maybe the next contest will be arena arena or koth?

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Easier to set up might be something like a straight cp map, or a GP cp map. They all have tried and tested entity setups, and are less likely to have a bug in them.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
KOTH and Arena aren't that hard to set up.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
KOTH and Arena are, however, the most abundant customs because they're so small and relatively easy to make.

I'd suggest a one-stage attack/defend CP map, like Gravelpit - but also like Steel.

Nov 14, 2009
KOTH and Arena are, however, the most abundant customs because they're so small and relatively easy to make.

I'd suggest a one-stage attack/defend CP map, like Gravelpit - but also like Steel.

+1
I would love to see a Gravelpit style map contest. Even a steel style one! I really like both of those styles, and would love to see some more added to the repertoire of them!

On the other hand, I would also like a KoTH contest... Not as much as a "Single stage A/D CP map" one though.

Ya no what, scrap that. I WANT A GRAVELPIT STYLE CONTEST!

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
personally id like to see contests go back to being based around a theme rather then a gametype...having a variety of types of maps come out of a contest is always nice...

though mainly...I just really hope the next contest is not koth or arena, as I don't really enjoy those at all...

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
What about another mini-contest? You know, like one of those 1024x1024 detailing ones? Or if not that, some kind of layout design practise?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
What about another mini-contest? You know, like one of those 1024x1024 detailing ones? Or if not that, some kind of layout design practise?

Uh yeah we're bit exactly going to stop those... those will continue to be the staple of our contests. This thread is for ideas on what to actually theme the contest arond, not to sugest we simply do more contests. Use your imagination a little!!

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
How about a best-of-3 tc style map? What I'm thinking of is making 3 small rounds with 1 control point for each team, when a team captures the enemy point they get 1 point added to the score. The team that wins 2 of 3 rounds wins the game.

Maybe the round can be set depending on which team wins, making it more tc-like.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Well, I for one wouldn't mind seeing how a TC/KOTH hybrid would work out. However, I'd also like to see it tested in another map first before theming a contest around it.

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
I've been playing with this idea in layout sketches - The Longest Push, an A/D CP map where the width of the map is restricted to something like 1024 or 2048 or something comfortable. No weird twisty layouts - do the best, most balanced layout you can within the required width constraint. Just one long map. Map you can have multiple floors, but I think one continuous map would be a lot more interesting as an exercise, both for gameplay and technical mapping.

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Some modeling contests would be cool to see but I don't think there are enough modelers to participate really. Same with a gamemode idea.

Following the recent trend (swamp, cpoint etc) Spawn rooms and 3d skyboxes?

Nov 14, 2009
Naw, dont you want something to actually play with after the contest :D
Playing the Major contest 3 maps was really fun!

How about a KoTH contest?