Community Weapons going out

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I don't see the issue with the line being drawn at content that was eventually sold to Valve. Content made official is a pretty obvious line to be made; including anything more will only further the debate for "well then you might as well make this a contribution worthy of a reward".

Sure, they're already rewarded with fame and a cheque in their pocket. But it's only a little something else that's nice.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I think they deserve it. I wonder what the Community Medigun looks like? If it has a custon healing beam like the valve one. That would be so awesome.

I'd donate to valve just to find out.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
And then we get into Valve making determinations over whether a particular contribution is "enough"... And issues of whether a modification of an older script to do something sorely-needed-but-easy is "enough", and somebody will always be overlooked...

Almost better to keep the hard-and-fast rules for what qualifies, and just to rename the whole category to make it clear how exclusive it is.

including anything more will only further the debate for "well then you might as well make this a contribution worthy of a reward".

A slippery slope does not qualify as a good reason.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not concerned with Community weapons being given out (even eventually) to too many people.

I'm concerned it won't be consistent. I'm concerned that it will be prone to unfair outcomes. Valve could designate everybody a Community Contributor for all I care, as long as the folks who make whole custom maps aren't passed over in favor of the guy who makes a "GRN Soldier" hue-shifted skin.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
You also got flagged for idling. How exactly did you go about getting the community kritz?

I'd love a Rocket Launcher with some different flashier effects.

I emailed robin and asked for a different weapon.

voogru

L1: Registered
Feb 17, 2008
Oh dear lord no. I can see it now: Servers running their own backpack-clouds. Donators get significantly buffer variations of regular weapons. Hyjinx ensue. :facepalm:

Which is one of the reasons why I'm not sharing the code to do this. I don't want newbie server admins abusing it.

Other then that, contributors on my servers will never have an advantage over non-contributors game play wise.

If a feature is placed in, all players, contributors or not, will have access to them.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Which is one of the reasons why I'm not sharing the code to do this. I don't want newbie server admins abusing it.

Other then that, contributors on my servers will never have an advantage over non-contributors game play wise.

If a feature is placed in, all players, contributors or not, will have access to them.

There's still an enormous potential there for community building, and I hope you at least release to experienced admins who contact you once it's complete

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008

That doesn't make it an unreasonable decision by Valve, though. To specifically draw the line there. That wasn't really why i raised that issue.

personally, i would rather community weapons were more 'special' than any other rare item that is currently available, on a sentimental level. Hence why i put the point forward of the "slippery slope" for my opinion regarding custom weaponry. It wasn't my reasoning for Valve's choice. Just that otherwise, they'd be easier to acquire and more abundant than hats. So who would care?

That's just how i see it. I can't presume what Valve's intentions for community weapons will be if it changes from their current standing. But currently, it makes sense.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Personally I'd rather be able to count the number of people with community items on my fingers and toes. They should be rare, special items (and I'm not just saying this because I have one) and Valve shouldn't hand them out willy-nilly just because people want them. People should want them, but there should a high threshold for who gets them.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Personally I'd rather be able to count the number of people with community items on my fingers and toes. They should be rare, special items (and I'm not just saying this because I have one) and Valve shouldn't hand them out willy-nilly just because people want them. People should want them, but there should a high threshold for who gets them.

The better alternative though is to have tiers. You keep the highest tier weapons super rare, and have a few lower tiers that progressively more people can get their hands on. You see that structure in all sorts of addicting games, Magic the gathering, WoW, etc.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
The better alternative though is to have tiers. You keep the highest tier weapons super rare, and have a few lower tiers that progressively more people can get their hands on. You see that structure in all sorts of addicting games, Magic the gathering, WoW, etc.

Or just lots more one-off oppertunity items. like the halos and the medals, both of which I think are fantastic. I want to see more things given out to small sections of people and a specific time and only them and then.

voogru

L1: Registered
Feb 17, 2008
There's still an enormous potential there for community building, and I hope you at least release to experienced admins who contact you once it's complete

It's practically impossible to keep it under control if I were to release it. One admin would leak it (or someone with access to his server would steal it).

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Not that I would like or want to see such a thing on servers... but couldn't you theoretically have a "voogru-cloud" that you keep control of and you only distribute a plugin that allows people to access it and have things you allow?

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
That made me think of something... mapper item for people who have more than x hours in the sourcesdk? :D Maybe a Hammer Medallion?

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
+1 nineaxis...
Thing is, it's cool and everything, but it just sparkles :p
I would be over the moon if I got one but I think I can live without it