Community Weapons going out

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
you've been misinformed.

The current criteria are: Having signed a contract to sell x number of assets to valve for tf2, that covers all the community map makers and everyone who contributed content to their maps.

Hurmph.

Fair enough, I suppose.

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
Valve have given us physical prizes to give out for contests.. you never know what might happen in the future ;)

Aha! Everyone, he just confirmed it! :p

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Congrats, but this is really gonna annoy some people, hats, medals, and now this maeks me rage as much as I'm happy for you. I know drunkenf00l (the guy who made the idling program) has one as well...
i doubt valve is happy with the maker of the idler program...

Pilk

L2: Junior Member
Jun 9, 2009
Personally I'd like to state I'm not at all jealous of the weapons because I think they are deserved by those who wield them. It will make those working to contribute something to the community try even harder and we can only get something good out of that. :D

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Well, I saw a screenshot of him with it, but I also got told that it was a serverside mod, I dunno what to beleive now...

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
you've been misinformed.

The current criteria are: Having signed a contract to sell x number of assets to valve for tf2, that covers all the community map makers and everyone who contributed content to their maps.

If that's true, I am exceedingly disappointed. The people who match that criteria have already been rewarded in significant ways. This isn't to say they shouldn't get sparkly weapons, but rather...

Let me put it this way. Valve can't afford to make every map, model, or texture official. But the community weapons can be likened to a currency they can mint themselves. I can't think of one good reason NOT to also award them to people who have put a lot of hours into supporting Valve's product, but haven't actually sold anything to Valve.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I think the problem is that "Community Contributor" implies a far more inclusive group than "People Who Sold Something To Valve".

And that brings in all sort of nasty subjective calls about what does or doesn't quality. Sourcemod plugins? Major server operators? Model-meisters? People who go out of their way to reproduce, test, and document bugs? TF2Wiki contributors?

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
And then we get into Valve making determinations over whether a particular contribution is "enough"... And issues of whether a modification of an older script to do something sorely-needed-but-easy is "enough", and somebody will always be overlooked...

Almost better to keep the hard-and-fast rules for what qualifies, and just to rename the whole category to make it clear how exclusive it is.

JoshuaC

L420: High Member
Sep 2, 2008
If that's true, I am exceedingly disappointed. The people who match that criteria have already been rewarded in significant ways. This isn't to say they shouldn't get sparkly weapons, but rather...

Let me put it this way. Valve can't afford to make every map, model, or texture official. But the community weapons can be likened to a currency they can mint themselves. I can't think of one good reason NOT to also award them to people who have put a lot of hours into supporting Valve's product, but haven't actually sold anything to Valve.

Valve is repaying those who support the game with constant free updates and listening to their requests. Without the community there would be no content updates.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I wouldnt say the criteria will stay that small, I'm sure it will grow. But it's only just begun, and as a good starting place for them those who have sold stuff seem the obvious ones to get the first round of cool stuff.