Breaking Update News: Sniper Update Info!

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
might be a good time to make a 24/7 arena server lol. Pipeline looks like shit tbh: watch the insane amounts of spam and how UNFUN it'll be.

You've got a point, there does look like a lot of spam potential. But this is a level we know they've held back before. I hope they were making sure it plays well.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Pipeline has an AWESOME Skybox though! But... so does Sawmill! And Sawmill has blades! They fixed func_rotating? And... and... and the Doomsday Device! Sweet Jesus! And there's bigger fans seen on the Top of the BLU side in the Pipeline pic! And more sign props! And Alpine-friendly track textures! And RAIN! AND-AND-AND... !

Void is currently down for routine maintenance

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
Wow, those two arena maps look amazing. Too bad they're arena maps.

Did anyone else see the quote?
- "I say this to you with the unvarnished factualism of plain talk: I love Arena mode."
-Abraham Lincoln, Second Inaugural Address, 1865

This update is hilarious.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
I love the Sniper's postcard home and the hilariously simple Australian address. Another Lincoln quote there for the observant.

Rasputin

L3: Member
Sep 20, 2008
I'm one of the few people in this universe who love arena and also love payload and now I'm happy! :laugh: And would you look at that, new rain effects, new night-time skybox, and new diabolical death machines of doom. I am really happy right now.

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
I've been ranting this whole time on how limited TF2's environments are. Fan-made attempts to vary them generally stick out like a sore thumb and Valve seemed hell-bent on keeping choices relatively simple, but the night atmosphere on pipeline is simply to die for, as is the new weather and gloomy lighting on the arena map.

It's a mapper's wet dream. :D

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
They say rain and rain-swamped...does this imply they have a working rain-rolling-off-hills texture?

Also, I totally just realized I was about to make Sawmill, but as a 3 CP map, where the middle CP had an on/off switch for the saw blades covering the CP. (Annnd then I remembered there's no buttons in TF2...)

EDIT: Waterfalls? Is what I'm talking about.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Those two arena maps totally just stepped too close to the map I've been working on... Now excuse me while I go hate myself even more for mapping so slow.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Those two arena maps totally just stepped too close to the map I've been working on... Now excuse me while I go hate myself even more for mapping so slow.

See that's why to use Hammer it wants to connect to the internet..

So it can pipeline and take copies of your .vmfs!!

BrokenTripod

May 11, 2009
If that's true, Valve never would have given the Scout it's gametype/gamemode killing ability to sprint past sentries after drinking a soda >=O

Blargh. Can't forgive them for that.

Though I must say, I can't wait for the release so I can actually make my dual payload map =D

BrokenTripod

May 11, 2009
Most likely an animated model? Less strain on the engine, I think, since there's no collision mesh to be spinning around?

StoneFrog

May 28, 2008
do you think the rotating blade will be a model tied to a fixed rotating entity or will it be an animated model?
I see little reason for it to be a model period unless it's a different-looking blade. They may be able to achieve some trippy motion blur effect if it's animated, but otherwise I don't see why.

A parented model would be kind of awkward, but it can be done properly with some good acceleration/deceleration values.

Schmoe

L2: Junior Member
May 18, 2008
I see little reason for it to be a model period unless it's a different-looking blade. They may be able to achieve some trippy motion blur effect if it's animated, but otherwise I don't see why.

A parented model would be kind of awkward, but it can be done properly with some good acceleration/deceleration values.

Done it with PC_Sawmill (go figure)... Didn't seem to stress the server, but then again I'm not Valve. :D

EDIT: It was a phys_motor with a rotation speed of 2000 attached to a prop_physics_override with saw_blade_large.mdl surrounded with a trigger_hurt.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Anyone else reminded of Darth Vader's little techno hut in Nucleus?

bottomless radioactive pit.
It's bottomless, and radioactive.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
You'll fall into the pit and die at a young age due to radiation poisoning?

StoneFrog

May 28, 2008