Axle

CP axle rc

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
playtest bump

Though you guys said a lot in game, i couldn't really hear people when they were talking over each other. Which kinda sucks, because you guys said a lot.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I had little to complain about, other than walking from respawn room to respawn room accidentally. Icarus mentioned maybe tilting the doorways to these outward by 45 degrees, which would probably help.

And the other thing that struck me as odd is point 2 (and 4, symmetrically) having limited access, by means of the stairway nearby and 1 other route (not counting if you're a jumping class). That's not really a bad thing, just non-traditional, and the real test of if this causes too much turtling is by trying it out with a full server. And you might have done so by now.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
FYI There is a third (longer) route if you take the flanking route to the CP2 area from mid, which allows you access to CP2 from behind the door to the right of the stairs you mention. Though at the same time cp_badlands only has 1 direct access point (the narrow windy cliff path on the spire), not counting classes with jump perks.

A couple people did mention the spawn orientation though. I'll see what i can do.

Last edited:

owly-oop

im birb
aa
Apr 14, 2009
Middle and 2nd were fine. I didn't like last and the transition between 2nd and last for some reason. I felt that there weren't any battles there, if there were i missed them. Seemed like i could just walk right past the enemy

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Hm, unless attackers take the air vent (which only 3 people seemed to notice) players have to all pass through the same area. The vestibule before the door/entrance.

I did notice that players were more likely to defend the point in the immediate vicinity than attempt to counter attack. Which makes sense considering any counter attack is more than likely going to be a direct one than a flank to the point. Which is only possible after passing through the vestibule.

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
cp_axle_a4a

Dropbox 18.4MB .7z

TF2maps 20.1MB .zip

This release mainly addresses map issues.

cp_axle_a4a change log:
  • Fixed Blu's forward-forward spawn locking on back cap.
  • Removed excess signage to conform with Valve's 5cp signage theory.
  • Added minor details (trees and select point_lights).
  • Added collisions to server boxes at final CP's.
  • added gate to ventilation shaft drop down at final CP's (prevents fall damage).
  • Increased mid capture time by 12.5% (from 8 seconds to 9).
  • Increased light in some RED areas.
  • Player clipped several exploitable ledges.
  • Player clipped BLU scaffold.
  • Player clipped spytech fences.
  • Rotated main spawn room 45 degrees to reduce player orientation confusion.
  • Added small ammo pack in BLU base (previously missing).

Also, custom material (swamp vine) should now be packed.

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well during the last test the EU server crashed 6 times so we never even got around to doing axle (chivalry of being a mod and playing my own map last wears thin with this type of thing happening).

We played it yesterday but mostly to just test out Geit's annotation-feedback plugin.

The map is hopefully up on playstuff.net's server as well and will be in their rotation.

Playstuff.net - 84.45.84.166:27015 - Westbourne, UK

I also noticed it's up on GamingMasters.co.uk - 81.19.212.48:27050 - (unkown location)

We can do a test later today (Monday) if people are interested :)

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
The map has been tested 4 times in 5 days and i'm kinda dissapointed in the lack of feedback.

Though comments have been made ingame it's usually drowned out by static or other players using the mic at the same time. So even though feedback is made it's incoherent and therefor can't help me.

So far is all i'm aware of is the spawns need better positioning so players don't walk in the wrong direction; and "for a grazr map it's actually not pants".

Whilst "Wilson "Sherlock" Wankhouse: Maybe there is nothing wrong with it" is an easy way of shrugging off the lack of post-game interest, i'm a little more conscious than that.

People seem to enjoy attacking and defending CP2 and this appears to be where most of the combat takes place. Are there any opinions about the middle point?

Last edited:

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I haven't played it myself yet, but;

You really can't force people into giving feedback. If you couldn't understand them while testing, you should say so in-game at that point instead of afterwards now (maybe you did, if so, fine). Plus, you have access to the STVs, right? You can both listen it back yourself and check if players were ever apparently confused, if there were any areas with significant chokes, if the gameflow is as good as you want it to be.

All I mean is, the fact that people have been playing at all is a huge amount of feedback in itself.

Tyker

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 1, 2009
I have no idea if this is your first map or not, but seeing what you said it seems that way, so I guess I'll explain the basics of feedback through my experience:

Everything Tinker said is true. That is where you will get most feedback from.
Apart from that, PM people on steam, ask directly. If you do, people will usually even go out of their way to make screenshots to help even more because they get a much bigger feeling of importance and participation.

Apart from that, I hardly see any positive feedback posted on tf2m, ever. No "I liked this" or "Good job on that", people only post feedback if they see something wrong. So getting no posts is sometimes a very good thing. Nobody sees things wrong, so nobody posts anything.

If this isn't your first map, sorry! Not trying to be derogatory here, just talking about what I've experienced. And if this is wrong in any way, please do tell me! Because I might just be doing something wrong myself then!

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
No, you two have it just about right.

90% of feedback you get is from tests. Players often speak their mind about what they like/what needs improving in game. All you need is a way to record and interpret their feedback.

Mar 23, 2010
I don't entirely agree with that tyker. Sometimes saying nothing just means theres nothing to say, not that it is perfect. No one said anything in tests or on the thread about coldfarm on the first couple of playtests. I kinda had to figure out it was awful by myself. Taking notes is always good too.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
This is probably the 4th map i've made, and i have gotten better, my older maps got more feedback but tf2maps was also a different place back then, when people who weren't necasserily regulars responded to a maps test in the map thread. But i suppose the map not warranting any complaints would have a lot to do with it. The thing is gamedays seem to just get treated like generic game events, played more so by people who don't care much for the site; the fact that people play the map is just TF2maps gameday popularity, not anything to do with the maps popularity, the fact that the map gets played to the end just means the maps dynamics arn't broken. People play orange_x for hours so i'm not inclined to simply assume my map is good because it didn't empty the server.

The thing is i'm getting some really good feedback from playstuff, which isn't fundamentally a mapping community. This is why i'm frustrated with TF2maps right now. The map has been tested by upwards of 60 people and hasn't recieved 1 comment but over at playstuff it gets tested once by about 12-24 people and 8+ people comment with some good advice (and i'm not supposed to get wound up when i spend the better part of a week getting the map tested here and no one made any opinions they felt like voicing).

People keep saying they don't comment because they don't think what they say will be productive, but that's nonesense. Even if you think you don't know what you're talking about, please say something, because otherwise i wont know about subtle disreptences and cannot improve the map.

As for ingame feedback, people just seem to ignore me; my mic is broken and when i ask people to repeat themselves they don't. Probably because they're concentrating on the game rather than the text scrolling on their screen. It's something of a dilema.

I have the demos... they have been helpful... but it's hard to tell what to change layout wise when no one says anything other than how funny a particular kill was. Don't take this moaning too seriously, i'm hard at work with the map, spreading it around etc. I'm just a little dissapointed around here is all. It was the same with my artpass. "i don't like granary" was pretty much all the attention it got.

Last edited:

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
As for ingame, people seem to ignore me, my mic is broken and when i ask people to repeat themselves they don't. Probably because they're concentrating on the game rather than the text scrolling on their screen. It's something of a dilema.

I had this issue when I was testing swamplands once. It was late for me so my volume was on low. When I asked people to type their comments in the chat or in the thread rather than using voice chat, I got about 1 comment. Maybe map authors should have some way of making their messages ingame more obvious.

All I can say about this map so far (as I haven't played it recently) is that it looks great, especialy the last points geomatry. But I will try and join in on the next test.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well, Geit's working on a really sweet plugin for the server that'll allow people to leave feedback messages in game via annotations.

Hopefully this will bridge the issue of not being able to comprehend ingame feedback (whether it be due to too much mic traffic, intense combat or fuzzy mic's etc) and lack of any response within the map thread.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Obnoxious double post bump.

FYI this map is up for gameday on Friday 21st (tomorrow). Unfortunately i wont be able to personally make it but i feel less guilty about that as people actually asked me to put it up :)

This map is also on rotation at:

EU 81.19.219.104:27015 - Playstuff.net TF2 Teamplay
EU 84.45.84.166:27015 - Playstuff.net TF2 maplab customs
EU 178.63.146.2:27015 - TF2Maps.net Official US Server - Germany
US 174.34.133.100:27500 - TF2Maps.net Official US Server - Texas

Soupstorm

L2: Junior Member
Sep 22, 2009
Assuming that your posted images are of the latest version, there are two things that immediately come to my mind. First, there seems to be a general lack of close-quarters chokepoints, which will limit the effectiveness of Pyros and Scouts especially, and slightly limit that of Heavies, Demos, and Engis. And second, the indoor cap point is a smaller area, but has sparse cover and low ground, giving a potentially unfair advantage to spam weapons.

With that said, the map as a whole looks like a lot of fun to play, and I really like the flow of it. You've also done a really good job with the Red/Blu architecture and incorporating it into the terrain. I can't wait to play it.