Axle

CP axle rc

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I also noticed for the first time that there is a blue loudspeaker on the RED side.

It's not a gameplay related item so it's not important. You can't just have everything in the red base be red, you need some contrast to stop it from being boring.

Changing up the base aesthetics was actually intentional. I attempted in some locations to keep the gameplay space identical but aesthetics different. This kind of pissed off the comp scene even though difference in performance is negligable. But that's comp players for you.

I'm glad you like this aspect of the map. A lot of effort went into "little details".

I remember my BATT entry got a lot of low marks for aesthetics, like "no 3dskybox, 3/10" even though i custom built a set of rotating clouds. The neat little aesthetics were so natural nobody even noticed, granted much of the map had yet to be properly detailed, it was after all a B1. But i could point out most of the complaints were addressed, people just didn't notice much, coupled with the obvious low detail in some areas that couldn't be avoided that nobody would shut up about.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Speaking as the guy who usually complains about people saying everything needs to be team-colored, and tends to hate recolored versions of other assets (cinder-blocks with red stripe, blue wood, etc)... I think a stock prop that's always had separate red and blue skins counts as something that should always be colored to match the base it's in or attached to. And if you think it doesn't stand out enough, maybe it ought to be attached to one of the more neutral colored walls.

XionGaTaosenai

L1: Registered
Jun 23, 2012
To be fair, I didn't notice that the bases were shaped differently until I was specifically looking for it. I was talking to Micnax about how the bases in CTF_Arroyo were exact pallete swaps of each other, which in the layout of two bases directly facing each other makes the whole map look kind of bland, and to help my point along I looked for examples of maps that properly differentiated the bases. As far as I can tell, CP_Axle is the only map I've seen not made by Valve where the Red and Blu bases actually look different from each other despite having identical layouts, and I think it's something that should be done more often.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
As far as I can tell, CP_Axle is the only map I've seen not made by Valve where the Red and Blu bases actually look different from each other despite having identical layouts, and I think it's something that should be done more often.

There are plenty of maps like this, look through the showcase and you'll find a few.
Bringing up a personal example, koth_montane (even if it wasn't made the best) was a map I made that made the symmetrical bases look radically different. Not the best map of mine but you get the idea. I like to see asymmetrical bases more because it makes the map look more realistic and natural, instead of two bases that somehow were built the exact same way. My two cents.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Speaking as the guy who usually complains about people saying everything needs to be team-colored, and tends to hate recolored versions of other assets (cinder-blocks with red stripe, blue wood, etc)... I think a stock prop that's always had separate red and blue skins counts as something that should always be colored to match the base it's in or attached to. And if you think it doesn't stand out enough, maybe it ought to be attached to one of the more neutral colored walls.

Just because a prop has multiple skins doesn't really mean anything, it's all about context. You can't just wash a base in RED. You need to apply some contrast and a blue tannoy is not going to confuse an entire team of players into thinking they're in the wrong base.

I understand the arguement for it's colour coordination, i just don't think it needs to be so pedantically applied to small miscellanious objects.