Attuned: An Elemental Journey. An Elemental Puzzle Game for UE4

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008

Attuning boxes to elements is a super cool idea. You could make some really devious puzzles if you add in a way to attune boxes from a distance (some sort of element gun/laser?)

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
rea_enviro_4.png

Judge for yourself.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I think I finally figured out what bothers me about the rocks/grass - it has the low-poly shading style, but with relatively high poly density (as compared to everything else). A lower resolution grid for the ground (and maybe rocks?) would probably make it look better.

Also, could you post a screenshot without the soft non-poly shadows? I'm curious to know how it looks.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I finally realised how to verbalise the thing I dislike in low poly environment work and it's the grid with noise effect on surfaces. All of your ground and all of your cliffs have reaaaally regular polygon shape and size but none of the other things do, the boulders and trees have polygons shaped to be efficient. I think it'd look a whole lot better if your terrain worked similarly

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
I finally realised how to verbalise the thing I dislike in low poly environment work and it's the grid with noise effect on surfaces. All of your ground and all of your cliffs have reaaaally regular polygon shape and size but none of the other things do, the boulders and trees have polygons shaped to be efficient. I think it'd look a whole lot better if your terrain worked similarly

I've been reworking that, so should be better soon.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
So I've been doing a lot of asset creation/experimentation the past weekish and have decided in on some stuff. None of this is final, obviously, but I thought I would post about it anyways. I guess this is kind of turning into a psuedo-blog. Oh well.

Unreal Engine 4 is pretty awesome with its asset creation. There's a lot I'm already doing with it, and I'm pretty sure I've only touched the ice cube at the top of the iceburg. I've only created 2 tree meshes, but can set it up so that you can assign materials to certain parts of the mesh. Because of this, I'm able to have various bark colors and various leaf colors. Shown below, you can see the greyish bark, and three types of leaves colors (Dark Red, Red and Orange. Second bark color not shown, but it's more of a brown).

enviropromo.png

In the background, you can also see a bright red post thing, and some blue squares. Those are parts of the map that are interactable with the Fire and Water attunements (respectively). I didn't want to necessarily confine those two elements to a single prop type of thing, like always a door, or always a crash in a wall. To solve this, I've created props that can be semi-logically placed around parts of the environment where these attunements interact. I think that this could be interesting and would keep things a little more open in terms of design.

assetpromo.png

You can see the new assets for everything in this picture, along with some of the modular pieces that I designed. These are things that I'll definitely be wanting to use for the game, and things that made sense. If something is affected by an attunement, its colors and effects match that attunements primary color. So the green teleporter goes with Earth, and the white jump pad, with its vertical moving particle effects, go with Air. More generic items are brown/yellow, like the box and button mechanic.

Myself and my friend (Noah) are actively working on the next version of Elementalist and its future. We don't know when that will be, so if you're interested in the game and its future, pay attention to this thread, or follow me on twitter.

Thanks everyone for the continued support and feedback!

EDIT: Next thing coming up will be beginning Level Design (finally) and block out of levels! ... and figure out the ground shader.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
NEW. PLAYABLE. BUILD. Pre-alpha Elementalist 0.1.r56
Tutorial + New Levels.​

(To play, go to WindowsNoEditor > Elementalist > Binaries > Win64)
Double tap Escape to exit​

One month later, lots and lots of stuff:
  • Artstyle starting to be fleshed out.
  • Gameplay, still being work on, but there.
  • New Puzzles.
  • Proper Tutorial.
  • Loads new assets.
  • Alpha as heck.
  • More, more and more.
  • Oh! And the button pickup bug is fixed.

We ask that if you play it, jot down some notes, record some footage, or stream it and let know so I can watch. Anything!
  • What did you like about the levels? What did you hate? Be honest!
  • Hows the player control feeling? (Not the final character, or movement, but feedback will help us shape the future movements).
  • Are you having fun? If not, why? If so, why?
  • Bugs?! There may as well be plenty, but tell us!
  • Anything else you want to tell us.

Missed the latest video? Click here!
For more various news on the game you can follow me on twitter @Fr0z3nR

More bigger news to come... Soon, hopefully.

Last edited:

radarhead

Basically? Kind of a Huge Mess
aa
Mar 6, 2013
This game is now being developed by Eerie Bear Games. If you're interested in following more on it's development, you can follow/check out our social media pages!

Facebook
Twitter

Woah woah woah, now you're pro
Making it to the BIG TIME

Let the hype roll in

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Your last video shows how far this game has come along. I have to admit I wasn't too interested at the beginning because the design didn't seem particularly focused, but now it's really coming together.

Looking forward to seeing more.

PS - 2160p 4k on youtube video, wowza lol.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Kind of just wanted to give a bit of an update on the project here.

We're doing things more and more and more. So here's some pictures.
db5b98w.png
wb3fG6J.png
XKeIIGP.png
JgAE0SM.png

As always, Twitter and Facebook are the best places to keep up with development, along with our weekly developer livestreams on Tuesday Nights.