CP artpass grazr

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Working on the last point... obviously not finished here:

super amazing hammer shot

I keep telling myself to work on BLU spawn so i don't have to work on that end of the map anymore but i just keep going to the RED part and working on the little rooms. Don't wanna show a pic of that though cause i have a unique approach to the light fixtures i'm being kinda protective about; until the last minute.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Must have had "fade props" turned on for that top picture, I can see one barrel through the other barrel.

Edit:
Wait, no. They're side by side, it just looked odd (the top of the lighter colored barrel is right where the bottom of the other barrel appears to be, so I got a nice optical illusion effect).

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
artpass_valvebaseb90008b.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb90006b.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb90002b.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb90020b.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb90022b.jpg

Seems i used the wrong light texture here >.>
I realise it's pretty dark D:

artpass_valvebaseb90000b.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb90016b.jpg

Besides continuing to detail the last area, pretty much just need to get more of the lights/sprites/spots working better and do the spawns. I'll use the spare time at the end to make some more detail rooms, assuming i have any spare time.

BLU spawn|50%
area 1|100%
*skybox| 100%
CP 1|100%
area 2|100%
*skybox|100%
CP 2|99%
area 3|99%
*skybox|N/A
CP 3|80%
RED spawn|50%

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
I have yet to set some of the windows into the buildings. This way compiles are faster and i can get the important base details done first. Plus if i decide to move or change windows i havn't wasted any time cutting buildings apart for nothing.

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
I really do love what you did with the granary theme. I think you took it and made it something that's much more pleasant to look at. Great job! I do think the CP C area needs some more work though, so far I've yet to notice something special about it. Are you going to go with the giant pumpkin idea?

Again, fantastic work, can't wait to see the finished product :)

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010

Those are some awesome-looking I-beams right there. I really feel like stealing them except that I have no idea where to put them. Guess I'll have to save that for another map.

I also really like the beam supports in your second to last picture, it's almost a shame that you didn't use them in your downstairs area as well.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Does it need a reason to be lower? I have it at that height mainly so that players can see the corn and better define the play/non-playable areas, due to the fact that players can access the roof of the shack right next to this out of bound area. Something that's been a nuisance working around since i refused to use the barbed gameplay fences.

and yes, C needs a lot more work. I've barely touched it beyond fixing the crappy brush alignments.

Acumen is working on a pumpkin for me. I have the explosion sorted but we're just experimenting with the material properties so that the gibs react properly to collisions.

Pretty much all i need now is a larger pumpkin splatter particle effect.

Last edited:

Jetti

L5: Dapper Member
May 2, 2010
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/grazr/artpass_valvebaseb90006b.jpg

This image was quite a clever idea for that arch; very original. I like it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/grazr/artpass_valvebaseb90002b.jpg

The largest building in this picture is so sparsely detailed, yet the lighting and detailing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/grazr/artpass_valvebaseb90020b.jpg

Upper layer needs more beams.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/grazr/artpass_valvebaseb90000b.jpg

I love the style of these beams; epic! Reminds me of some old cartoon I watched

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
artpass_valvebaseb100013aaa.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb100016aaa.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb100017aaa.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb100008aaa.jpg

-
-
-
-

Changed this wall, the one behind the shack on the ground level. You think this is an improvement?

artpass_valvebaseb100007aaa.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb100009aaa.jpg

-
-
-
-

Sneak peak at pumpkin

artpass_valvebaseb100003aaa.jpg

I'm starting to feel that most areas are touched all but a couple sprites and 1 or 2 prop fade distances in the out of bound areas. Basically it's BLU and RED spawn (50% complete) and a little tweeking of the final point.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I'm not sure if this is really a complaint but;

It looks fantastic, but it looks so overly neat. The boxes are stacked perfectly, the beams are all intact, the milk cans and the barrels stand upright exactly next to each other, the haybales are perfectly stacked - it's like someone's grandma went through it with a broom and a vacuum to make it all look prim and proper. It's a creepy kind of cleanliness, which is odd for a warzone where two teams who aren't farmers at all are battling each other.

It might be just me though, otherwise it's looking great.

Chemical Alia

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2010
I like the atmospheric fog volume, but it feels sort of strong for what appears to be a clear, sunny afternoon. I think there was some pink in the skybox to suggest it was early in the morning, it would look very attractive. Or maybe just tone the settings back a bit.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
*insert Nostalgia Critic screenshot that I'm too lazy to go get*

Bwhaa?! What?! Pumpkin?! What?! What?! Pumpkin, what?!

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm not sure if this is really a complaint but;

It looks fantastic, but it looks so overly neat. The boxes are stacked perfectly, the beams are all intact, the milk cans and the barrels stand upright exactly next to each other, the haybales are perfectly stacked - it's like someone's grandma went through it with a broom and a vacuum to make it all look prim and proper. It's a creepy kind of cleanliness, which is odd for a warzone where two teams who aren't farmers at all are battling each other.

It might be just me though, otherwise it's looking great.

No, you're right and i'm trying to work against it feeling too neat/methodical. There are some cases of wear and tear... but unlike the mining theme which better serves "messy up keep" the granary theme leaves much to the imagination in regards to a "run down facility". Beyond creating missing planks, missing (and quick fix) sheets of metal and strewn tires i'm not sure where else to go with it. Also it's not like there arn't any missing/skewed truss supports... there are plenty, all be it not in these specific shots.

I'll try and work on the wooden fences though as they are probably the most notably clean aesthetics (i think).

EDIT: just noticed several of my paint patches arn't working, i guess that'd help too...

I like the atmospheric fog volume, but it feels sort of strong for what appears to be a clear, sunny afternoon. I think there was some pink in the skybox to suggest it was early in the morning, it would look very attractive. Or maybe just tone the settings back a bit.

It is supposed to be early morning. Hence the ambience colour, fog colour, fog density and sun colour. Right before the sun rises and heats it up and away. I feel i've spent enough mornings waking up at 7am to an empty baby blue sky and gently fading ground fog in the hilly farmland of Devon to accurately portray it.

I'm not sure why you thought this was an afternoon with ground fog, the sun that low and a lack of yellow/orange tinted ambience. With no clouds it would be hard to tint the sky pink, but with clouds i negate the use of fog as the warmth the clouds collect prevents fog from forming in the first palce.

Last edited: