CP artpass grazr

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Oh sure, i get what you're saying. From about 3 weeks ago whilst i was trying to get the outside done i did notice my insides were bare as hell (mostly because B is in a shack and i was wondering why it looked poo compared to A and C). I've tried my best to remedy that, but some of the insides are pretty cramped so it's hard to fit in junk.

Here's an example: naked room.

I thought about putting in trims, but it's so narrow and the stairs mess up the truss alignments on one wall.

The spytech areas have been pretty spacey and i've managed well, though spytech has a lot more wall detail props available (servers and pipes etc).

I guess i haven't shown much of the insides beyond C yet...

Shack before A, floor 1
Shack before A, floor 2
A/B divide
Shack before B
B front
B back

The only really bare areas at the moment that could be significantly improved is the squigely stair room by C and RED spawn.

At the moment i'm just adding info_observer points so it looks tidy when joined/specced.

Last edited:

IrishTaxIDriver

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 27, 2008
Oh sure, i get what you're saying. From about 3 weeks ago whilst i was trying to get the outside done i did notice my insides were bare as hell (mostly because B is in a shack and i was wondering why it looked poo compared to A and C). I've tried my best to remedy that, but some of the insides are pretty cramped so it's hard to fit in junk.

I noticed that I've used a lot of oil drums and crates in my artpass map to fill in corners and stuff. Some of the areas are abnormally huge and don't really work with their current sizes. But you say that some of the insides are cramped, and when I see these screenshots, I don't see many props, just flat surfaces and empty areas. They're a little too open and un-cluttered for my tastes.

Get this floor level. I understand what you're trying to do with the foundation of the building, but it looks like an error with the dirt road separated like that.

Sep 1, 2009
The Industrial wall computers kinda cry out " I don't fit here" That is my owny complaint.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Ok, i know i said i would get this released yesterday morning, but i went to the cinema to watch Sylvester Stalone blow shit up instead (and fell asleep as soon as i got back).

I have the map compiled for release (with test explosion) but i need to recompile with the changed name first and pack custom content. I gotta pop into uni in 10 so watch this space in the next few hours as i'll get this done as soon as i get back around noonish GMT. We can have an impromptu test later tonight.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008

Snacks

TODO: Clever title
Oct 15, 2009
rc1:

You can escape the map behind point B.

The sirens on red base are blue colored.

Also, some edges.
rDqM2.jpg

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
It seems i've uploaded the wrong file (the raw bsp from the folder, without cubemaps) though i'm not sure how the custom content is showing... bob+M|M+ didn't mention anything about that.

sneaky player clip hole is sneaky.

I wanted to keep sirens blue for some contrast to all the RED, but we'll see. I'll probably turn them RED if enough people complain.

I'll upload an RC2 before the test and make sure i upload the correct bsp (i can't auto save anything into my steam folder because my steam account is an email, the @ symbol fucks things up). I must have packed one but cubemapped the other.

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
Your cubemaps are broken, for me at least. Some areas are nice, like the side rooms off C, but alot near B and the base entrance is quite plain.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Test day feedback:

artpassgrazrrc20000.jpg

This metal fence piece needs a playerclip on the left. I snag on it when I try to walk into it except from the very right corner.

artpassgrazrrc20001.jpg

Removing the ramp constitutes a major layout change, as it makes not only that doorway but the entire upstairs a RED-only zone.

artpassgrazrrc20002.jpg

Not fond of that "door handle."

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Could someone link me a pic of the window reflecting something "weird" in what ever spawn it was...

As for the ramp, i didn't even realise there was a ramp there, it's been a while since i opened the original artpass map. I must have removed it and forgotten to replace it.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Going through the entire map i only found one (the full health before A) that was missing an overlay. Maybe the one in entrance corridor is missing one... i'll have to check later, going to bed now.

Kinda dissapointed that out of 24 players only 2 provided feedback. It was hard to make out legit feedback in the demo because people were being stupid saying things like "the layout sucks". Oh well. I guess the most significant thing is that i missed those stairs to the base entrance battlements.

I also changed the shack overlooking B so that players can walk around more easily (as they could in the original VMF). I guess you'll see it in RC3 if i can get a test tomorrow too.

One thing i didn't quite understand was the tiled spytech floor was reflecting in some rooms but not in others, despite the fact that after double checking in Hammer they appear to be the very one and same texture.

I'll be looking to detail the base entrance corridor and add some lights to the battlements. Maybe i'll add more detail to the RED spawn corridor but it depends how much time i have spare. Other than that i never really noticed any comments regarding aesthetics.

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
One thing i noticed whilst going through my map in the second round, is that the constraints only work for the first explosion: pumpkin.

I've worked up a potential fix for RC3/4 (depending which version i release later tonight). Hopefully it works, it hasn't been tested yet, but basically i have it manually resetting by turning off and on each roundstart. Whether or not it actually reconnects like it sounds like it should is to be seen.

Out of ideas for this space. There are some consoles around the corner but the side walls are pretty bare. There's plenty of detail on the ceiling, but not really much space to add junk on the floor that wont get in the players way.

Added some more observer points and included a little red sprite on the cameras.

artpass_grazr_rc30000.jpg

artpass_grazr_rc30006.jpg

Added some trusses in this corridor and detailed the wall trim to be more consistent with the rest of the spytech/indutrial detail. I think the trusses are a little chunky though. Also i've clipped them and the pipes which Muffin braught up ingame. Badwater doesn't clip them but i guess mine are a little more easier to bump into.

artpass_grazr_rc30008.jpg

Added in ramp to battlements (my bad). The junk actually looks OK here as the map was pretty bare, even though in hammer it looked weird next to the other junk around the corner.

artpass_grazr_rc30005.jpg

Added more details to the 3dskybox, particularly on the left flank under the rising sun. I really did want the corn to be at the horizon so it was more prominant, but it just looked bland as hell in the end.

artpass_grazr_rc30003.jpg

artpass_grazr_rc30002.jpg

I also added in some phys' cans in some outside areas.

Last edited:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Sorry, I forgot to post something after I played your map yesterday. :0

The map in overal is looking very nice, especially the outside parts (everything before C). The C area, the long corridor next to C, and the hallways out of the spawn are looking very poorly detailed, they are all quite bland (I'm sorry if you already said you would fix that in your above posts, I have to go in a few minutes so I don't have the time to read everything).