grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
artpass_valvebaseb40020.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb40022.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb40025.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb40031.jpg

I'm getting some weird bug with the dirt path overlays where after an arbitrary amount of time they go black. I dunno whether this is just my card being a spak, but running mat_reloadallmaterials i can replicate the bug on demand... kinda annoying at the moment.

I thought it was the low environment lighting not giving stuff a good helping of stable lighting but they are fine on map load...

APbug1.jpg

APbug2.jpg

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Last edited:

honeymustard

L9: Fashionable Member
Oct 26, 2009
I usually get that bug after I've built cubemaps - it doesn't appear otherwise though. Loading a different map, then the original map fixes it for me.

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010
This might be a minor thing but I'm really not happy with your skybox light. It looks like it's perfectly straight across the x axis, giving you a lot of pretty weird-looking shadows. If you look at the shadows from the roofs on your first screenshot, they go all the way across the structure, making perfectly angular shadows. Since the only other surface flat enough to get those structures are the blue spawn building, just keeping track of those areas might be enough.

You don't have to make any drastic changes but I think shifting the sunlight just a few degrees (or just remaking that area) would help out a bit. Of course this is also something nobody playing the map would really think about.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
The sun is at 15 degrees and the shadows are at 25. It is kinda noticable but i was hoping most players wouldn't notice. Any lower and the map isn't well lit, but if the sun is any higher then it wouldn't be morning, nor be appropriate to have morning fog.

I'll try and make the difference more subtle though.

edit: Or did you mean horizontally?

Last edited:

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010
Directions are hard in 3D, let's say it's directly to the right of image#1 in the center of the skybox (top of the "up" window). If the sun was closer to the camera the shadows would end before they reached the brown structure in the middle and if it was further in, the walls of the house wouldn't be lit up.

Using more houses to extend the occluder wall into 3d would also help to break up the shadows, it's not like changing the sun is the only solution.

Goombac

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 27, 2010
Looking nice. Although the tree in the distance with the grain and the power lines looks too huge.

Jetti

L5: Dapper Member
May 2, 2010
On the first of the new shots, theres this really tall, thin building which looks incredibly un-natural. What possible purpose could it serve?

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
On the first of the new shots, theres this really tall, thin building which looks incredibly un-natural. What possible purpose could it serve?

I was considering putting a grain shoot in it that is visible at the base, but it's no less natural than the "central" granary buildings, or badlands buildings beyond the bases. Granted it is thinner than most.

To be honest i feel kinda bad uploading these map updates and just going "yea, that's gonna change, i have plans not in effect yet". You guys seem to be picking into the WIP and not the existing details, so maybe that's a good thing...

@ Huckle, i have no issues moving the sun horizontally, as long as the sun is seen 'birthing' over the corn. My main concern at the moment is that the suns (env_sun) brightness is quite bright and i can't seem to find a way of reducing it without upping the colour contrast in the same process.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
I just havn't filled that tiny bit in the corner with planks yet... the screenshot was supposed to be showing the grain shoot in the background that people were complaining about looking incomplete/shit.

I'm still deciding what to do in that area. IE whether to put dirt tracks to imply vehicle access or not, or fill it with "junk" props etc. which will tell me how to implement the surrounding fencing.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008