CP artpass grazr

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
Looks like things are coming along, grazr! A couple of points to consider though-

I think you're heading in the right direction with the lighting around A. I'd shorten the beams on those spotlights as their length makes them a bit distracting. I'd also add more light fixtures in general, otherwise you run the risk of having players realize that the lights are placed there for gameplay purposes rather than simply being necessary parts of an actual building. Making it look like real structure that someone had to plan, build and install light fixtures on is the key.

Your spawn room does look a little bland, but I don't think it's a huge issue. Yeah, there are some super awesome spawn rooms out there (Upward is a favorite of mine), but there are also some ridiculously bland spawn rooms too. A bit more detailing might be nice, but ensuring the rest of the map is looking good is probably more important first.

Finally, the gate out of the spawn in the last screen looks a little wonky across the top. Make sure that's lined up properly.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yes, BLU spawn is WIP. Only really worked on the ceiling.

RED signs change to BLU on capture. I thought it would be handy since there's no forward spawn. I realise the HUD's there but heh. It's good to know where you're heading on spawn. The HUD isn't always looked at until after players get lost or confused.

I'll sort out the gates last, wanna get the hard/long winded stuff out of the way first.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
RED signs change to BLU on capture. I thought it would be handy since there's no forward spawn.

I'd just add some overlay letters (A/B/C) next to each one. I did something like that one a custom map I've been working on, showing which point is currently up for capture (func_brush with the overlay texture sitting 0.1 units out from the wall).

StuartPB

L1: Registered
Nov 20, 2009
I agree on the red signs in spawn being superfluous. You see a lot of this sort of world element in TFC, from before there were HUD elements that told you about the map state, but in TF2 the only place where you find signs like this are in direction to the point.

So, if you feel the spawn needs a way to direct players to which point is open, use lit BLU arrows and maybe a dynamic letter.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Finishing off detail bounds...

artpass_valvebaseb180001.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb180005.jpg

artpass_valvebaseb180002.jpg

Every A/D map needs a place at the starting location for heavies to hang out and eat sandvich's, this stack of hay bales is prime picnic real estate.

sandvich_picnic.jpg

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
You think it should be "pointing" upwards like they usually do? I don't fully understand what looks wrong about it...

I agree on the red signs in spawn being superfluous. You see a lot of this sort of world element in TFC, from before there were HUD elements that told you about the map state, but in TF2 the only place where you find signs like this are in direction to the point.

So, if you feel the spawn needs a way to direct players to which point is open, use lit BLU arrows and maybe a dynamic letter.

I'd just add some overlay letters (A/B/C) next to each one. I did something like that one a custom map I've been working on, showing which point is currently up for capture (func_brush with the overlay texture sitting 0.1 units out from the wall).

I'm gonna try and play this on the server either tonight or tomorrow and see what players say then when they are presented with it first hand. I was gonna do it over the weekend but i didn't wanna overlap with any gamedays.

Last edited:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
You think it should be "pointing" upwards like they usually do? I don't fully understand what looks wrong about it...

It's not connected to anything. That conveyor model always has a building at each end.

Scotland Tom

Jan 19, 2008
I think what Nineaxis is saying, grazr, is that you've got it attached to a building on one side, but typically that model has a building on BOTH sides like it's transporting stuff from one building to another.

I'm also not seeing any supports holding it up. Am I just missing those?

Nov 14, 2009
I agree with grazr, it takes grain from one place, and deposits to another. That other happens in this case to be a pile, instead of a building.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Excuse the rather obnoxious double post self thread bump, but as an FYI i'll be releasing this map tomorrow morning (although it is already 2:30am GMT). It wont be the final version as i still wanna tweak some light parameters/finalise the finale explosion's look (not to mention take advantage of feedback), so the name will probably be _rc1 or something so it doesn't mess with my actual release version name for submission.

Good night for now. :)

Nov 14, 2009
Excuse the rather obnoxious double post self thread bump, but as an FYI i'll be releasing this map tomorrow morning (although it is already 2:30am GMT). It wont be the final version as i still wanna tweak some light parameters/finalise the finale explosion's look (not to mention take advantage of feedback), so the name will probably be _rc1 or something so it doesn't mess with my actual release version name for submission.

Good night for now. :)

Nighty night, cant wait to see what it looks like!

IrishTaxIDriver

Sep 27, 2008
The one thing I'm concerned about is I'm worried you are concentrating too much on the outside of the map areas.

I noticed a few people are doing that, and its really easy to tell because outside the map takes up about 75% of the screenshot.

Remember, people are going to spend the most time looking at the play area and that a lot of your details in the outside area, outside the initial look around, probably won't be looked at again!