Announcing the Maps Workshop Beta!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
So, in terms of how this works... do we no longer have to append suffixes to new map versions? Do subscribers get automatic updates?

Sep 19, 2010
So when this was released earlier, I thought it would be a place to upload maps that are finished. I've since seen some maps that are still in development. What's the general consensus on that? Are we using this as a way to easily distribute maps or as more of a showcase?

radarhead

Basically? Kind of a Huge Mess
aa
Mar 6, 2013
So when this was released earlier, I thought it would be a place to upload maps that are finished. I've since seen some maps that are still in development. What's the general consensus on that? Are we using this as a way to easily distribute maps or as more of a showcase?

Who knows how WE are going to use it. Personally, I think uploading mostly finished maps is a better idea as the general community doesn't always know what it is looking for (ahem ahem trade maps cough).

Woozlez

L3: Member
Jul 28, 2010
I am so excited. I just uploaded MVM_Underground 10 minutes ago and it already has 6 subscribers. This is beautiful.

Now we wait for the "Quickplay Subscribed Maps" button.

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Crash OP please nerf
2015-06-02_22-12-27.jpg

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
If you have custom content, you pack that into the bsp first before uploading (don't 7zip into a bz2 or anything).

Though... for MvM maps, you can't pack in the missions and bot lists, can you? I seem to remember those had to be seperate or else they wouldn't work right.

You can pack all of the missions and stuff in, as long as it goes into the right directory it should be loaded on map start.

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
So now I'm wondering how far along should a map be in development before it is posted to the workshop.

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
I just woke up and saw this. All ready made my day. But then I realized how many things are in beta.

DrLambda

L69: Teeheehee, Member
aa
Feb 18, 2015
So, we investigated in chat for a bit.

Right now, it downloads the maps to Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\440\<MAP WORKSHOP ID>. That map is already playable if you copy it over to the maps folder.
There currently seems to be no automatic sync with TF2, so you have to manually do that by typing tf_workshop_map_sync <MAP WORKSHOP ID>.
It will then be startable by typing map workshop/<ORIGINAL FILENAME>.ugc<MAP WORKSHOP ID> . There is currently no option to create a local game with that map without using the console, and autocomplete won't work (because of the subfolder, i guess.) So basically, it's working, but there are a few steps in between missing.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
THIS IS AMAZING. FUCK YES. Now for Source 2...

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I must be a bigger idiot than usual, but I can't find how to submit maps.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Oh. I was expecting to use the website. But I got my map up now.

yoseph

L1: Registered
Apr 28, 2015
I feel like I choose a pretty opportune time to get into this stuff! :) The thing I'm most excited about is being able to quickly and painlessly download custom maps via the workshop like in cs:go, that's probably one of the biggest dealbreakers when it comes to custom maps. That and valve being able to pick and choose maps from the workshop is pretty amazing too.

I wonder if this will lead into cs:go style "operations" with a group of temporary maps in a special operation map pool to play on. I would really love that.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
I'm not sure if it was there before, but TF2Maps.net is featured on the 'About' page of the TF2 Workshop.

image.png

Edit: Sending this feedback to the TF Team:

TF Team:

First of all, as a mapper for Team Fortess 2, I want to sincerely thank you for the recent addition of the Map Workshop. That being said, I feel that many potential new mappers will go into Team Fortress 2, then open 'Workshop', then click on the 'Learn How' link. This link leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/workshop/
which doesn't have information regarding mapping for TF2. I see that the 'About' section of the TF2 Workshop does, and I was wondering if this information could at least be transposed to the above URL.

KubeKing4556
"KubeKing4556 #tf2mapworkshop"

Last edited:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
We've been a sponsored community thing since they implemented the feature.

The feature being the Maps Workshop, the Workshop in general, or what else? I didn't mean that this wasn't up since the beginning of the Maps Workshop.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Back when they added communities as being designate-able money recipients for workshop items if the author so wishes to give back to someplace that helped them a lot.