Announcing the Maps Workshop Beta!

Oct 6, 2008
I think this will be one of the biggest game enhancers or game killers of all time. If it's people from here posting maps, then there will be an overall high quality level, if it's your average yahoo out there that thinks making a box and putting in a cow model and then calling it a map will kill the game / workshop idea.

I've also noticed in console that it indicates that your custom map doesn't have the 'map workshop prefix' - anyidea what this is? do the old prefixes still count?

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Though... for MvM maps, you can't pack in the missions and bot lists, can you? I seem to remember those had to be seperate or else they wouldn't work right.
It can all be packed into the map. Thats not a problem there, and for the workshop i would recommend that. Not only that, but since they explicitely require a bsp it is a must.

Time to get skullcove in it :)

You can pack all of the missions and stuff in, as long as it goes into the right directory it should be loaded on map start.
The mvm bug he refered to was that a packed popfile didnt show up in the vote options. I dont know if its fixed and even how long it was there. But it has been there for quite a while.

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Balloon Race a monstrosity? Christ on a bike. It's large, plain-looking and the gameplay feels a bit wonky sometimes but that comes from the nature of the way players progress through the map. It's a grand experiment in complex path_tracking and never seemed to profess to be amazing or intentionally crude.

Still, no such thing as bad publicity :) You should quote this on the map's workshop page, Geit.
"... the monstrosity that is Balloon race." - Destructoid.

Oct 6, 2008
Oct 6, 2008
New Question - since I'm at work and can't check it out.

Under this new system- is there anything in place that stops some yahoo from uploading your map from their game and try to claim it as their's?

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
New Question - since I'm at work and can't check it out.

Under this new system- is there anything in place that stops some yahoo from uploading your map from their game and try to claim it as their's?

well you have timestamped evidence of your work everywhere you posted it previously

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Don't worry Geit.

It's a monstrosity that we all love.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I am sure that they will add a separate workshop category for mvm missions eventually.

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
I think it was 25 as i had that before on a portal map. Its as far as i can see not 20 votes as thats where im at now.

Just to confirm its 25
at 23 i had no rating yet, at 27 it showed it.

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

aa
Sep 8, 2008
Well, at least on wubwubwub that wouldnt realy be a problem as the map still would be excelent. But on other maps that surely would be a problem. But if that is the case i wonder why on other games that never did show.

Or is it that you download it as vpk maybe? As originaly that was broken for that exact reason (and with that aswel for nav and popfiles).

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
So what I'm gathering is that cubemaps are being broken by the name change of the map when uploaded to the workshop.

They really need to sort that out. IMHO the maps should go to steamapps/common/team fortress 2/tf/maps instead of steamapps/workshop/440 or w/e. (or at least make them more easily accessible)