WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
These 2 materials define the normalmap for the grass differently, causing lighting to look different.
"$bumpmap" "Nature/dirtground001_height-ssbump"
does not equal
"$bumpmap2" "Nature/rockground002_height-ssbump"

*looks at the actual vtf files that are being used*

ssbumping.png

they are pretty similar, so I'm surprised it looks this different. Say, did you ever have to click "Sew"? If you don't, hammer might not smooth out the lighting.

Blade x64

Logical insanity
aa
Sep 3, 2009
1. Blends can only use a single ssbump, or one to two normal maps.
2. Using an ssbump as a normal will result in the texture looking brighter.

blendrockgroundwallforest uses a normal map for the cliff with an ssbump for the grass, and $ssbump was not enabled. This results in the grass being brighter than usual.

So, use blendrockgroundwallforest001, which doesn't have any normals, or create your own blend to make use of normals. You'll need to get a flat normal for the grass to prevent an unnatural shadow seam between the displacements.

Last edited:

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
1. Blends can only use a single ssbump, or one to two normal maps.
2. Using an ssbump as a normal will result in the texture looking brighter.

blendrockgroundwallforest uses a normal map for the cliff with an ssbump for the grass, and $ssbump was not enabled. This results in the grass being brighter than usual.

So, use blendrockgroundwallforest001, which doesn't have any normals, or create your own blend to make use of normals. You'll need to get a flat normal for the grass to prevent an unnatural shadow seam between the displacements.

That fixed it.

wnj9FAl.jpg

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
I'm working on a new map, and it's almost ready for release. But then I compiled it with Compile Pal X.

When I compiled it normally, it was about 2k-3k kilobytes. About an average size for an A1. But when I compiled/packed it with CPX, this happened.

lFgYIqO.png

It's the second largest map in my game, right behind snowplow.

How.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
If your map uses a lot of custom content, this is exactly what you can expect. Repack your BSP and see what the filesize is then - it'll probably end up around 40 MB.

Malachite Man

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 16, 2015
I'm working on a new map, and it's almost ready for release. But then I compiled it with Compile Pal X.

When I compiled it normally, it was about 2k-3k kilobytes. About an average size for an A1. But when I compiled/packed it with CPX, this happened.

lFgYIqO.png

It's the second largest map in my game, right behind snowplow.

How.
Did you repack it to reduce file size ?

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Yes, I know that I have to repack it. I just did, and now it's just over 40 MB.

Note to self: Drastically reduce detailing in a2.

norfolk

aa
Jan 18, 2014
3IayEqV.png

Been working on a small Pokémon fangame. I've just been making (non-final) maps so far. This one is my favorite. Route 3. Top area still incomplete.

AsG_Alligator

qhull precision error
aa
Aug 5, 2016
hFoe3mS.jpg

Still adding shiz. I'm hoping for snow-covered prop variants in next Frontline supply pack (I could make those myself but im lazy).

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
Been working on a small Pokémon fangame. I've just been making (non-final) maps so far. This one is my favorite. Route 3. Top area still incomplete.

Is any of that outer water going to be surfable? Could be a pretty cool thing if you make it loop so once you beat the gym that allows you to use surf, it loops back to there and you can surf through route 3 to get to the next area.
I'd also love to test this once it is playable.

Aug 30, 2015
I don't know, maybe this won't be wank afterall
Dev Point B.jpg Dev B Yard.jpg