[WIP] pl_coastline

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
The spawn looks really nice, I love those windows. But it's pretty big, I hope you spawn fairly close to the doors :p

Just in case you don't know, Crossfire is the name of the most famous map in the original HalfLife Deathmatch game (it included player-controlled artillery guns and a nuclear strike, hence the fame). It may be wise to pick a different name if your map is not a remake.

Blindfate

L1: Registered
Nov 2, 2008
The spawn looks really nice, I love those windows. But it's pretty big, I hope you spawn fairly close to the doors :p

Just in case you don't know, Crossfire is the name of the most famous map in the original HalfLife Deathmatch game (it included player-controlled artillery guns and a nuclear strike, hence the fame). It may be wise to pick a different name if your map is not a remake.

Crossfire was also a boardgame in the mid-nineties. Whats your point? :p lol

Apom

Sep 14, 2008
Crossfire was also a boardgame in the mid-nineties. Whats your point? :p lol
People tend to avoid using previous map names, even across different games, simply because it's misleading. Visitors will expect to find a map similar to the one they used to play on that other game where the name was used. You just don't go around making a map with Deck16 as a name.

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
Yeah he has a point about the name, especially when it's from another source game. No massive deal, but if you have another name in minfd you might as well use it.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Nice screens there, reminds me a lot of Hydro. Which is in no way bad, because Hydro looks ace.

I have no problems with the name Crossfire, but that may be because I have no connection to HL:DM at all. It's a bit fitting because of the number of alternate paths, I guess. If you decide to change, how about Crossover? ...Which sounds a bit familiar, by the way. Sorry if I'm suggesting an existing name. :p

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
pl_scatter
pl_scattered

Blindfate

L1: Registered
Nov 2, 2008
Yeah he has a point about the name, especially when it's from another source game. No massive deal, but if you have another name in minfd you might as well use it.

How many people actually know that its from HL: DM though? I mean I played a little and know the map, but not by name. Just stick with downhill since people generally have good things to say about it.

Edit: Just came from the bigbear thread,:x

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
crossfire?
Wow, for everyone who played HL:DM knows it.
It was the best map, just because off the cool nuke button.
And HL:DM is just only played because of crossfire.

Username

L2: Junior Member
Aug 26, 2008
I still like descent. But that's because it reminds me of the old spaceship flying game.

FLOOR_MASTER

L3: Member
Mar 10, 2008
Any progress on this? We've played a2fixed several times and there really isn't any major balance issue to report at this point. A little more signage directly out of RED's spawns would help. The layout is on the complex side but doesn't hurt the map -- everything seems to just make sense -- paths go where you'd expect them to go, etc.

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
I'm still on it. I've nearly completed another map prototype with a different layout but I'm not quite satisfied yet. So...I started yet with another layout. I might give you some pictures of those different versions soon.

I'm also thinking about the name. Here's part of my brainstorming. I do like some of those names and some are not that great:

ROCKVALLEY HARBOR (pl_rockvalley)
CROSSFIRE CANYON (pl_crossfire)
pl_crossover
pl_crossfeuer
pl_colorado
pl_redcanyon
pl_harborbay
pl_harborcanyon
pl_harborvalley
pl_kreuzfeuer
pl_hafen
pl_clash
pl_descent
Harbor Hills
Canyon Cove
Container Cove

bay, port, harbor, valley, crossfire, canyon, cove, downhill, ...

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I'm still on it. I've nearly completed another map prototype with a different layout but I'm not quite satisfied yet. So...I started yet with another layout. I might give you some pictures of those different versions soon.

I'm also thinking about the name. Here's part of my brainstorming. I do like some of those names and some are not that great:

ROCKVALLEY HARBOR (pl_rockvalley)
CROSSFIRE CANYON (pl_crossfire)
pl_crossover
pl_crossfeuer
pl_colorado
pl_redcanyon
pl_harborbay
pl_harborcanyon
pl_harborvalley
pl_kreuzfeuer
pl_hafen
pl_clash
pl_descent
Harbor Hills
Canyon Cove
Container Cove

bay, port, harbor, valley, crossfire, canyon, cove, downhill, ...

Crossfire, descent and colorado are the most memorable ones. Multiple names always makes it seem weird (especially things like "harborvalley ").

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
pl_quay :)

I wouldn't go with a two-word name, just sounds wonky.