[WIP] pl_coastline

FLOOR_MASTER

L3: Member
Mar 10, 2008
I hope you'll reconsider any major changes. They layout of pl_downhill_a2fixed is solid in its current state. It's much better than you think it is. In fact, it's tremendously well-balanced, as these stats from January alone show (number and percentage of rounds in which the indicated point was the last point captured by BLU):

Code:
pl_downhill_a2fixed:
  None                                    16 (15%)
  #Badwater_cap_1                         15 (14%)
  #Badwater_cap_2                          5 (5%)
  #Badwater_cap_3                         15 (14%)
  #Badwater_cap_4                         55 (52%)

This is a *very* good distribution. We've played, pretty extensively, virtually every 1-stage payload map there is and it's extremely rare for a map to be as balanced as a2fixed is. I would strongly encourage you to just slap some textures on it and don't alter the layout at all.

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
FLOOR_MASTER, that's good to read and really encouraging to keep on going with the alpha 2 layout. I'll definately look into this in the future.

Anyway here's some screenshots of a new layout (see page 1 for more information and download link):

pl_coastline_button.jpg

headline_a1_screenshots.jpg

Sep 12, 2008
Saw these screens before, and I have to say: looks really good what you've got there! Can't wait to see more! I can't give you any other feedback because I'm having trouble with my PC.

-DBP

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
I love the granary feel you got there at the end, sticks out from all those entirely desert maps!

Last edited:

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
Does coastline have any water in it? :3

Looks good though! ^^

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
You can actually see it in the second to last screen. :p

I've played pl_downhill_a2fixed quite a lot of times, and I really like it. Yes, it was flawed in many ways, but I believe you could have fixed it easily. Oh well, the new layout looks good as well.

HojoTheGreat

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 11, 2008
I'll take some screens later hopefully, but overall the map is quite good! The layout feels right, though I'd have liked to have filled the server more to get a better idea. The rooms have a good size to them, and routes are varied well enough.

Some things to improve:
- SIGNS SIGNS SIGNS!!! Like I said in-game, walk around the map as Blue attacking and take all of the side routes, and everywhere you think will provide confusion to new players, put a sign. Again, if I have time later I'll do this for you since it's hard to judge confusing paths for your own map, as you know the layout well.
- Some clipping issues I know you're already fixing :)
- some weird brushes and nooks. You could sneak through a few rocks to get to places, and I remember a building that looked like it as separated from the ground by half a foot. I'll take some screens to show

Really fun though, and the final point looks like it has a lot of potential aesthetically.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
OK, gotta play this today.

I like it overall. I agree you needs signs and more health for red. Big map and we only had about 3v3 so it's hard to say, I think it'll play nice.

Like alot of maps these days it is large. That kindof goes towards the map as a whole and even to indivdual sections. Maybe a few passages could be narrowed down.

There is a spot just past the blu's foward spawn, into a tunnel before cap point. A rock with a spotlight on top, players can get up there and can't be seen, completely black.

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
thanks for your feedback.

o Signs will be added for sure
o Size of certain areas and paths will be reduced once I've added the rest of the displacements and painted the geometry
o Clipping and light will be addressed later (after displacements are done)
o If you'd like to see them... I have two demorecordings of full server games

krik3t

L2: Junior Member
Jan 21, 2009
Played map today but only in 6 or 8 players, so I can't say much. Just one thing - need more medium and full medkits. Attackers have bomb-dispenser, but when defending I often got ~20hp and have to run around finding all those small meds or go all the way back to spawn.

Last edited: