[WIP] pl_coastline

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
* Update 13.11.2008

As said earlier I've now completed a fully playable prototype so we can do some gameplay testing - I definately need feedback on this. Also I'm thinking about changing the name to Crossfire Canyon or just Crossfire (pl_crossfire) - what do you think?

I especially would like to read your feedback about

* overall layout (any paths & areas too big / small?, confusing?)
* ammo & healthkit locations
* gameplay balance
* change name to Crossfire Canyon (pl_crossfire)?

Download Alpha 2:

(I apologize for a bug that the blu forward spawn door wasn't working, I forgot to enable the triggers after capturing C. I've just uploaded a fixed version so if you already downloaded the map please do again.)

pl_downhill_a2fixed.zip (11 MB)

pl_downhill_a2.zip (11 MB)
pl_downhill_a2.bsp.bz2 (11 MB)

Here's what I still need to do:
- adjust layout according to results from gameplay feedback
- add more shape to most of the buildings and apply a clean visual style
- details & texturing
- displacement geometry
- visleaf optimization
- occluders & prop fade distances
- lighting & lightmaps
- cubemaps
- complete player clipping
- nobuilds
- soundscape
- menu photos
- maybe create custom explosion

Last edited:

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
It looks good. I look forward to giving it a run through. As far as the name, since the last name was influenced by the idea of a downward map, I say you're not tied to that any more. Crossfire Canyon sounds cool, and it fits with that type of them.

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
pl_crossfire (without canyon) is the best name of the three imo ;)

But I don't think you can make a custom explosion with particles (i've done some new testing after last update (with changes on particles))

flubber

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2007
Change the version name 2a_b or something.

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
Change the version name 2a_b or something.

This. Once a renamed version is released I'll pop it on my server for some testing. Don't want to create issues in case some users have already downloaded it. :)

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Looking good!

You might want to consider changing the texture on the building on the left in this screenshot or at least adding some darker architectural details on top of it to help break-up the huge white wall.

DarkNoghri

L1: Registered
Aug 3, 2008
Many many paths here. Lot's of health. It can be confusing, but you can almost always get behind people. I like it. Floating crane is a nice touch. Also, spawn has a lot of exits.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
I think its just because its the first time I've played it, but I was thrown off by the many side paths. I will try and give you better feedback after a few more runs.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Yeah, my main issue with this map is there is no clear main path, just a bunch of side paths. I probably only saw the cart 5 times over the course of the playtest, because I was mostly wandering around and eventually ending up at the final cap without even passing the first three.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I liked it, but perhaps a bit easy to defend. It was really hard for BLU to push the cart the final stretch. As Nineaxis said, they even had some trouble getting there in the first place.

One thing you could fix, is that RED can very easily get behind BLU and flank them. There was a doorway around the second point (I think) which seems like it should be a one-way door for BLU or something - but RED kept using it to get behind BLU. Making it a one-way door would help a lot.

FLOOR_MASTER

L3: Member
Mar 10, 2008
We've played about a half dozen rounds of a2fixed. I don't have any concrete suggestions, but the map is definitely solid. We'll continue to run playtests and hopefully I'll have more useful feedback at some point.

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008

One thing you could fix, is that RED can very easily get behind BLU and flank them. There was a doorway around the second point (I think) which seems like it should be a one-way door for BLU or something - but RED kept using it to get behind BLU. Making it a one-way door would help a lot.

Would you be so kind and send me a screenshot of the door you're talking about or just give a more specific description so I know which one should be changed? Thanks

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Would you be so kind and send me a screenshot of the door you're talking about or just give a more specific description so I know which one should be changed? Thanks

I had a feeling that was a bit too vague. I'll get one in a minute.

EDIT
pl_downhill_a2fixed0001.png

RED can use this door as easily as BLU. When giving the attackers additional shortcuts, they should lead to places where BLU can get a small advantage, and places that it's hard or nearly impossible for RED to infiltrate. I think it looks a bit too easy for RED to just walk out there with little consequence.

Last edited:

Blindfate

L1: Registered
Nov 2, 2008
We played this map last night.

Bad stuff:
*People wanted to build on the train carts in the last point.
*A LOT of alt paths, they throw people off, but this could be fixed with more signs.
*This is a little thing, but the windows a head of red spawn on the left side platform should have a clipping on them to keep players from getting stuck on the window cill, it's not a big thing but its annoying to get stuck on things

Good stuff:
*Lots of rocket jump-to places
*quiet a few good sentry places
*I can get on top of a lot of stuff. I like that because I like to explore.