WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
Why did you remake it?

Because the old Heatwave map is a patch work of poorly done brush work, horrid detailing, and unbalanced areas. I'm redoing it because anytime I had to redo an area of the map that brushwork always got in the way as it was always a pain to deal with. So I'm updating it. Just like I did with overflow (which is a remake of another map I did.) I'm remaking this one to be more balanced.

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
Altitude is coming along slowly but taking shape. Damn you, finals.
7JqiYfa.jpg

CriminalBunny

Lasers are just deadly rainbows
aa
Oct 11, 2013
Still working on koth_rising, making major changes in layout:

wL8g14s.jpg

paJGBhL.jpg

Extended the courtyard between spawn and mid and added a room inside the sewers

qj5wVbc.jpg

PCVeseI.jpg

A room that connects both the sewer room and that back room that didn't have much use in the gameday (as far as I know)

klUXOhh.jpg
OoglBxR.jpg

Still working on mid, I got nothing to put in that empty area...

sb1OJCy.jpg

Also placing 'functional' security cameras here and there. I'll fix the light later...
What sprite should I use there? I didn't think it would literally look like that in-game (thought the black thing was transparency, but it turns out it's not)
It kinda feels like a changelog

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Still working on koth_rising, making major changes in layout:

wL8g14s.jpg

paJGBhL.jpg

Extended the courtyard between spawn and mid and added a room inside the sewers

qj5wVbc.jpg

PCVeseI.jpg

A room that connects both the sewer room and that back room that didn't have much use in the gameday (as far as I know)

klUXOhh.jpg
OoglBxR.jpg

Still working on mid, I got nothing to put in that empty area...

sb1OJCy.jpg

Also placing 'functional' security cameras here and there. I'll fix the light later...
What sprite should I use there? I didn't think it would literally look like that in-game (thought the black thing was transparency, but it turns out it's not)
It kinda feels like a changelog
Just use an env_lightglow with a red color.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Dont use a lightglow. That is too expensive for something that should be as simple as a sprite. Instead try diffirent 'Render Modes' on the sprite. Glow for example does remove the black background in hammer aswel. So that might also work ingame.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
You've got a spawn with no map, and you can't think where to put another exit??
I understand that issue when you've made your spawn, and your map and meshing the two is a problem, but when there's nothing but a spawn? Jeez
Put it anywhere!

ExtraCheesyPie

L420: High Member
Jan 29, 2015
You've got a spawn with no map, and you can't think where to put another exit??
I understand that issue when you've made your spawn, and your map and meshing the two is a problem, but when there's nothing but a spawn? Jeez
Put it anywhere!
Maybe that's the map? Both teams sit in spawn while a payload moves automatically until one team wins.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
that only works if he would name it achievement_idle_payload.

But i for a part can understand the issue, in most cases you want at least 2 exits from a spawn to reduce spawnkilling. Having just 1 exit wont work. And the way to handle it is to actualy build multiple exit options inside the spawnroom. When the exit doesnt suit the map, close that one off. Idealy you would have an exit to the left or right, so 2 doorways in that direction is where to start. But other than that, use your imagination as i cant help any further than that.

ExtraCheesyPie

L420: High Member
Jan 29, 2015
that only works if he would name it achievement_idle_payload.

But i for a part can understand the issue, in most cases you want at least 2 exits from a spawn to reduce spawnkilling. Having just 1 exit wont work. And the way to handle it is to actualy build multiple exit options inside the spawnroom. When the exit doesnt suit the map, close that one off. Idealy you would have an exit to the left or right, so 2 doorways in that direction is where to start. But other than that, use your imagination as i cant help any further than that.
Actually, depending on what sorta spawn it is, then 1 exit could work. Look at frontier, RED's forward spawn has only 1 exit, but near the point, basically inviting in spawncamping. Similarly, look at Badwater's shortcut that closes later on- it can basically count as a spawn exit, since it requires the enemy to push through it in order to seal off a heavy flow of REDs