What is the 'best' overall 3D modelling program?

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maya is my favorite, but that's only because it was what I was trained on in college. Unfortunately I could never quite figure out how to move my model from Maya to the program for creating tf2 weapons. It never worked for me.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
So I presume this is directed at the Blender devs? Are they no longer supporting the program or something? I'm not quite sure what that statement is meant to imply here.
It means that once they had built a rudimentary program that technically works, they stopped trying to improve the UI. Same issue I have with GIMP, actually.

Oct 6, 2008
I used to be really good with 3D Studio max back in the year 2000 - got an A+ for my work (like making the European Union's Tiger Attack Helicopter) and animations (4 legged alien walker with multiple glowing orbs) but when school was over the $5000.00 + price tag stopped me from doing more work with it after I left.

I've tried blender and had a hard time getting it. I preferred the old max interface but maybe it's a learning curve. One of the interesting features that the old max used to have, and maybe the guys who are using it now can confirm if you can still do it now, is that you used to be able to make interesting/complex spline patterns in Adobe Illustrator and then import them into Max - then extrude them to make your models - you could get some really cool looking stuff happening back then without having to do it in Max - which saved a lot of time.

One of the things I'd like to ask is - can you use the programs today to make spinning payloads or other prop animations and import those into hammer/source?

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
"Also how feasible is it to create the basic shape of a prop in Hammer using Propper, then import it to blender to add in details? "
Very feasible, I did this with blender several times while working on ctf_urbanbrook.

The 3D programs I have experience in are blender, maya, and the adorable wings3D.

Maya 2016 is a buggy, bloated, crash ridden mess and would not touch it with a 10 foot pole if I could avoid it. From what I understand alot of companies that use "Maya" are running a version from 10 years ago that has been overhauled by their own internal teams. The changes autodesk has made to maya in the past few years are depressing.

Blender has improved greatly in the past 2 years and I would happily recommend it to anyone wanting to get into 3D modelling. Although exporting a model from blender to source requires an (easy to get) plugin and a few external programs, but this isn't really a fault of blender and more a fault of source.

Wings3D can't do much but its to darn cute to ignore.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Although exporting a model from blender to source requires an (easy to get) plugin and a few external programs, but this isn't really a fault of blender and more a fault of source.
Well, I mean, importing models from any proprietary engine into any 3D modeling app is gonna require extra stuff. Ultimately it comes down to how well designed the import and export tools for any given modeling app is, since community-made tools are usually tailor made for whatever their creators already use. Personally, that's the big reason I've stuck with 3DS Max; Wall Worm is extremely versatile (you can import raw VMF files, for example, and never have to work with Propper) and pretty easy to learn.