What do you like in a map?

ϺΞΤЯΘΉλϺ

L3: Member
May 8, 2017
What do you guys and gals like in a map that gets you to play that one or few maps over again, is it the end goal, the multitude of layouts, or the fun rocking jumping spots.(etc.)

For me its the simple and easy design of a map. Just love how complex it can look but its easy to follow (in layout) like Point connector Point and so on.
So yah, what do you like in a map?

:3

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
I like maps that have something for everyone. Hightower is a good example of this: big heights for soldiers and demomen, cliffs for airblast-happy pyros, balconies overlooking large chunks of the map for snipers, hidey holes and sneaky routes for scouts and spies, and of course that one rollback room that engineers and heavies (and medics!) thrive in when defending that spot.

See also Double Cross, Suijin, Mossrock, Upward, Thunder Mountain

Scampi

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 8, 2017
I'll usually enjoy a variety of different maps, but there's one theme that connects my favorites: Plenty of nooks, crannies, small ledges, hidden areas, etc. I don't know if doubling down on this is always a good idea, but the more places for spies to hide, players to creatively flank with a combination of skilled jumps, teleporters to be stashed and stickies to be hidden the happier I am. Also, cover from snipers because if you give that kiwi bastard an inch, he'll take a mile.

Maps like Steel, Highpass, Kongking and I'm sure plenty others are some examples.

squ1rrel

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 11, 2016
I like maps with wide areas free for backburner pyros like me to skulk and sneak around. Process and Badlands are good examples.

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
Maps that have good brushwork (especially in the alpha stages) tend to give off the idea that the map was professionally designed by a mapping veteran, in my experience.

FunkEdge

L3: Member
Jan 14, 2017
personally i like maps that offer a variety of game-play spaces, like how cp_Gorge has a mix of open and closed in spaces to fight in.

Billo

aa
Feb 8, 2016
i like things not seen before in a map.
variaty is key and height advantages are just perfect for an interesting gameplay - in my opinion plr_bananabay accomplishes that perfectly
i also like maps that have a clear theme while alpha stage, so people know what to expect in later versions and also give their opinion about the map.

plr_bananabay , pl_upward , pl_enclosure etc