Wetland

CP Wetland a6

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
after 7 months phi returns with "cp wetland". will this be the anticipated followup to her more-than-halfway-decent map "cp sunshine"? probably not. but it was still fun to make.

Not a very creative name, but it wasn't taken so yeah. Wetland. Wet land. Get it? Because it's a swamp. The land is wet. Wet land.

I spent way too long making this. I should have probably invested that time into a more useful project like another 5cp map or something, but I couldn't stand making another symmetrical map right now. So I poured creative energy into this beast. Who knows how it'll play.

Oh yeah: it's a 3CP single stage A/D map. Linear. Might have multiple stages at one point or another, too.

Last edited:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Ayyyy, welcome back! Map looks neato, although maybe a bit big; the distance from blue spawn to A is pretty large. There's also a number of large sightlines, but hell if I know what a good or bad sightline is anymore. The building around A is neat. Cool stuff overall.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
butters-37190.jpg

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
i like how it feels more realplacey than most maps

that is very much the feel i was going for when i was making the map.

the point designs and building/route layout were mostly structured from a couple pictures i had in my mind and landscapes i had previously sketched. this was the first map i have made that never had a layout sketched, i made it completely off of what i thought looked realistic and what i thought might actually exist, to an extent of the tf2 universe, i guess. stairways bunched off in corners looped over themselves, kind of muddy worn down probably industrial logging/processing/whatever plant in a boreal swamp area or something. buildings i had in mind would be wooden flat-like ones, more dilapidated towards the RED encampments and gradually becoming more built up and usable as the progression heads towards the main trainyard. i also have a fetish for displacements if you could not already tell!!

which leads to me constantly wanting to completely detail it because i already know what i want it to look like when it's done, but then i realize it's already detailed way too much for an early alpha and more likely than not i'm gunna have to make some compromises on whether i want areas to look "realplacey" over them functioning as actual good gameplay. we'll see, I guess.

as it stands right now I haven't seen a good A defense yet, but that might be due to a lack of a forward spawn for RED at that point. if that existed for defending A it would probably balance the map out a bit more. deathpits will be worked with to make more obvious. probably gunna lower the floor in the cave and add some sort of indication the ones outside RED spawn/inside building near B exist. other than that: the amount of time given for capping A and B will be reduced, other fixes found off of feedback will be produced.

i tend to feel like i overthink a lot of this stuff, but it keeps me occupied, and is probably the reason why i keep coming back to mapping with all the stuff going on in my life, eh. helps me preoccupy my thoughts away from other worse things, keeps me from withdrawing completely cause i actually have a method of social output.

anyways yeah. testing has gone pretty good. if there's any imps i'm not at, just try to tack it on at the end or something if anyone remembers atm so it can get whatever testing. a2 will be out sometime, hopefully really soon so as not to muck up the flow of alpha progression. cheers

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
alpha 2

- added RED forward spawn that is active when A is uncapped by BLU to facilitate easier defense of A
- shortened captimes slightly
- cut time given for capping A from 4 min to 2 min; cut time given for capping B from 4 min to 3 min
- deepened cave deathpit, opened up route in through river
- made other deathpits more obvious
- added basic signage
- other various small edits

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84556731/_newmap/cp_wetland_a2.bsp.bz2

Cool

Last edited:

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Have fun with this.

Is hoping for derecho a lost cause?

it depends, is anyone else hoping for derecho?

regardless I doubt derecho will go anywhere especially in comp so I think if I were to invest time into a 5cp it'd either be completely ironing out the kinks in sunshine or making a complete new map. Either way I'm burnt out when it comes to symmetrical stuff right now so I'm gunna work on this for awhile.

But hey, thanks for showing that at least one person remembers that map, haha. Might have to have a go at fixing its last someday.

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
I don't want to pull your nice new thread too far off topic so far soon but after having played a fair amount of cp_sunshine on Star_'s server recently I've really come to appreciate it and I'm not a fan of 5cp normally. Sunshine's older brother Derecho hasn't got the chops the younger sleeker sibling does. Might be a prime candidate for orphaning to the repository though perhaps?

Jummbl

L1: Registered
Aug 30, 2014
I played this map the other day, and I really enjoyed the area around and up to the first point. It looks and feels really nice. However, the final point was really hard to capture. And that odd cavern-tunnel-thing was really long.. it was easy for soldiers to spam rockets at you, or heavies to gun you down (since there's no sort of cover if you're already halfway there), and more obviously snipers sniping you.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Was gonna post this as feedback but it's too long. The jump just outside RED's first spawn feels like a skill jump that wasn't meant to be one. It's easy enough to make the jump... assuming I react quickly enough. But I usually don't. The ledge is so short that by the time the door is open and I can see where I'm going, it's already too late. In addition, the room itself is awfully short; the door trigger is so close to the door that a scout would almost smack his head on it going out.

My advice would be to sink the room deeper into the cliffside, with the displacements forming a sort of cave entrance around the door a la Gorge, and also stretching it back further so you have room to extend the door trigger.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
as it stands right now I haven't seen a good A defense yet, but that might be due to a lack of a forward spawn for RED at that point.
heyi just want you to know that this is why i got so mad at hella and eventually quit mapping altogether (besides that tf2 sucks shit). it's almost impossible to balance a 3cp map and in fact i dont think any 3 cp map is actually balanced. not even mtn lab/mann manor works as intended and thats probably why it was shelved before the artpass contest.

with hella, any time i made A defendable it made B undefendable and vice versa. i eventually tested several versions with varying forward spawns for both teams before going insane. best of luck.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
tremendously late response, but yeah.

a6 is out, download in OP. screenshots have not been updated.

as of right now the map plays pretty swell. i've seen proper defenses for all three points, sometimes all in one match. sometimes the timer counts down to overtime for each point as blu pushes through. sometimes blu wins, sometimes red defends successfully on A, sometimes on B, sometimes on C

i really like how the map is working so far and i would highly appreciate it if the people who run imps on US servers could run the map every so often. the rounds i've been getting are pretty gorgeous.

a7 coming sometime, maybe b1. feedback is welcome. cheers