1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Well That Was Close

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by tf2.com, Apr 19, 2011.

1. tf2.com

tf2.com L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

All of us here on the TF2 team have been asking to play Portal 2 for months now.

"Go away," the Portal guys told us. "You'll just try to put hats in it."

"Whaaattttt?" we said. "That's—psshhhh. If anything, we'll probably tell you to take some hats out of the game."

"There are no hats in the game."

After this, there was an awkward ten-minute silence while all of on the TF2 team stared at the Portal guys, waiting for them to start laughing. Instead, they just told us to go away again. That's when we realized: with so little time left before release, we couldn't afford to waste any time playing the game. We had to fix it. Now. So late last night we snuck into the Portal 2 source code and copy/pasted some hats into it.

You're welcome, Portal 2 team.

Today, we pass the fruits of our clandestine game-saving labor onto you, the hat-loving public (or as you're more commonly known, the public). If you own any of the following hats in Team Fortress 2, you'll be able to equip them on your Cooperative Testing Initiative robots in Portal 2:

• Mann Co. Cap
    • Prince Tavish's Crown
    • Pyro's Beanie
    • Fancy Fedora
    • Master's Yellow Belt
    • Tyrant's Helm
    If you've been on the fence up until now—and who could blame you—you've finally got a reason to buy Portal 2. Courtesy of Team Fortress 2. The best game that Valve makes with a "2" on the end.

Source: TF2.com

2. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    hats huh?

this is/was pretty unnecessary.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    All i got to say is that those tiny fedoras are adorable.

4. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Damn, i traded my beanie for the mexican hat a couple weeks ago. Now i immediately regret my decision

5. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    Purchase hats and gestures so you can brag to the 1 other person in the server. Spoilers: he probably doesn't give a shit.

• Thanks Thanks x 7
  6. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    People are giving Portal 2 a 0/10 on Metacritic for the ingame store. It makes me laugh so much. I personally don't care. They're not related to gameplay, so I ain't buyin' them.

7. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    funny, I owned almost all those hats at one time or another. Guess my portal experience will be hat free.

8. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I thought it was a joke.
    hats will conquer the gaming world soon :O

9. Mr. Wimples

Mr. Wimples L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Admit it, we all knew this was coming in one form or another.

Will say though, I dig mah tiny-beanie.

10. BeaverKing

BeaverKing L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Wow... Enough with the endless hat gimmicks already... Whatever happened to marketing a game based on its innovativeness and enjoyment, not some frivolous ploy like an impractical, purely cosmetic hat...

This is probably why the TF2 team breaks the game and plugins like metamod every time they attempt to release a real update like last week, too busy grinding away on out-of-place hats instead of improving the game itself... Anyone else get the sense sometimes that they're just kind of winging it and learning how to program as they go? hehe. I dont see DICE releasing Bad Company 2 updates every week...

If I were on the Portal team, I'd glare at the TF2 guys and tell them to go away too...

11. RagnarHomsar

RagnarHomsar L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't remember seeing anything about hats when I prepurchased Portal 2 for a friend and I a few months ago. All of a sudden because they offer some neat little pay-for things and the ability to share cosmetic items between two games an entire game's marketing is based around cosmetic items?

And about "updates every week": the gap between the sort of mini-community contribution update and Australian Christmas was about 4 months. Pretty much every other update was just bugfixes.

On topic: Every single word uttered about Portal 2 (and this includes this hat thing) makes me want to just end this vacation already and head home to play it.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  12. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    I really have no words for people like you, which is why I'm writing these words to a person like you.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I wouldn't say this hat 'gimmick' was a marketing ploy at all. if it was we would have heard about it earlier.

Now, the Potato Sack and Glados countdown, that was a marketing gimmick of epic proportions.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  14. BeaverKing

Positive Ratings:
    I didn't say the entire game's marketing was based on hats, don't put words in my mouth.

Everything Valve promotes these days is eventually tied to TF2 with some dumbass hat or weapon it seems, if it's not initially laid out that way to begin with. Trading and community content has pretty much killed that game as it once was... That update last week has broken TF2 for more than half the people on my Friend's list... Random crashes galore...

And that's good Leminnes, take a stand while saying nothing... Your opinion is no more right than mine...

@ Frag, it really was. Why would anyone wanna wear that potato hat anyway? hehe

15. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    I just honestly don't see why a game where you play coop requires a) bought hats or b) a 300 frickin slot backpack

WHY A BACKPACK?

16. Mr.Blob

Mr.Blob L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    more hats!

17. BeaverKing

Positive Ratings:
    a backpack...? heh

the hell for...?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. RagnarHomsar

RagnarHomsar L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Objection!
    You implied the marketing was based entirely around hats with that statement.

I don't think I'm even going to wear any hats when I can play co-op with friends. Who would even care what one other person thinks of the hat on your bot's head?

19. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    Panels
    Bot trust
    Turrets
    Boots

This is totally a goddamn hat based marketing right here!
    This all also applies to Meet The... videos.

If this really is hat based marketing to you, then i don't know really.

I would highly consider looking how many new players there is in TF2 now and how strong mapping and modeling community is now, TF2 is living good life and is not dead at all.

Also are you really complaining about bugs and crashes on update that pretty much rewrite and edit shitton of tf2 code, that is something you can't expect to go without problems.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I like my mini yellow belt... :3