Vertices messing up everytime I load my map.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ibex, Oct 19, 2013.

1. ibex

aa ibex

Positive Ratings:
    Every time I load my map back up the vertices that I've moved from their non-start position will do whatever the hell they like and form really weird out of place shapes. How do I stop this from happening?

It also happens on the simplest of manipulations. Move one corner of a square up four units and then when I load my map up the whole brush is completely different and out of place.

EDIT: And when I compile after fixing the vertices they compile into the messed up shapes.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    The brushes are invalid. Stop disrespecting the requirement that all brushes are convex.

3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    To elaborate on that, a face can only exist in a single geometric plane. In your example, the face has four verts and if you raise a single vert off of that plane you are "bending" the face, which is invalid.

When you reload the map the brush is reformed in a valid state because brushes are actually saved as a volume defined by planes (not a set of vertices). An invalid manipulation literally cannot be saved in the VMF format.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    Also, the fix for that is to split the brush at its diagonal to 2 seperate brushes (2 triangle surfaces).

5. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    Alternatively, you can use the vertex tool, select two of the verticies that aren't joined, and join them with Ctrl + F (this only works if the resulting brush is convex).