Valve Maps (Decompiled)

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Hello all! My apologies for the LONG LONG leave. I had to take a needed break from TF2 and everything with it as playing it for 7 years can do that to you. Lol Rest assured I'm going to be going through and updating everything that is in the OP today sometime so by tomorrow you can check back and have a nice new fresh list!

EmNudge

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 23, 2015
sd_doomsday_event

sniff, now I have to do all the work and decompile it myself. gonna take a whole 2 minutes.

RavenStryker

aa
Nov 25, 2008
You didn't include a seperate download a for sd_doomsday_event.
Also, the whole-pack-download contains every .vmf twice, with every second one being in another .zip. Double filesize with no advantages.
Good catch, I updated it to include a smaller full pack as added a link for Doomsday Event. Thanks!

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
You have misspelled borneo as boreno.

RavenStryker

aa
Nov 25, 2008
Thanks for updating the list! :p
Took some time, completely forgot about it for a good minute. But then one day out of nowhere, I was like, holy shit, when was the last time I updated that list!? xD 1 year ago.

wiseguy149

Emperor of Entities and Amateur of Aesthetics
May 12, 2009
How does one decompile a map?
With VMEX, which stands for Valve Map EXtractor.
It turns the .bsp maps that the game runs back into .vmf files that you can edit in Hammer.
It's not an exact process, and some minor elements may get left out or modified slightly, but most of the map will be accurately decompiled.

Edit:
Ignore me and listen to Tyler. BSPSource is what you want.
The last time I decompiled a map was over 4 years ago.

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
You don't actually need to decompress a repacked map before you decompile it with BSPsource. It'll give you an error message about LZMA compression but doesn't affect the VMF.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Hm, when I tried to decompile the Gun Mettle maps they were corrupt until i decompressed them. Maybe it was coincidence.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
This is what I get when I decompile Snewplew:

6Pwlqw6.png

Hammer opens up the VMF with no complaints. I even get hint and skip brushes, which I thought was odd but I probably misunderstand how Skip is treated.

I am using BSPSource 1.3.20 and have 7-Zip 15.05 beta 64-bit if that's of any consequence.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Hm, I dunno. I think I may have been decompiling Powerhouse or Borneo at the time. Decompressing fixed it, but it's very well possible it was another error/bug that went away mysteriously.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
The bug isn't in bspsource, but in the compression. Decompressing masks the error because the unpacker doesn't even check for the error condition.