Valve Maps (Decompiled)

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
Do you think you can add mvm_example? It's a valve map with nothing but entities and wave example, added during the mvm update, not forcing you but it'll be nice if you upload it.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
It doesn't need to be decompiled, since it comes with the source file.

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
Wait cloaks is there. Who created cloak and why?!?

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
It is a mystery. It was never announced, it just showed up one day. Most people still don't know it exists.

Kraken

Dec 21, 2014
It is a mystery. It was never announced, it just showed up one day. Most people still don't know it exists.

Maybe it's a joke from the tf2 crew.
They probably made some one with little mapping skill to put it there.

Oct 6, 2008
Re: Asteroid map - I DL'd the vmf but it seems to be an old version - the bsp that I have one my pc has bridge in center and cools silver thing happening at bottom of gorge. Has there been an update - does anyone have the vmf? I tried to decompile and got an error and was not able to look at the coding.

Kraken

Dec 21, 2014
Could this be updated to include doomsday event?

Prolyfic

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 19, 2014
List of maps need to be updated/added :

All 2014-2015 maps (after Aug 18th) :

sd_doomsday_event
ctf_gorge
ctf_foundry
ctf_thundermountain
pl_borneo
cp_powerhouse
cp_snowplow
koth_suijin

Older maps (before Aug 18th, updated to today)

pl_cactuscanyon (Sept 15th,Beta 10)
koth_lakeside_event (Nov 7th)
pl_upward (Nov 20th)
rd_asteroid (Dec 15th,Beta 15)

Thanxs.

Last edited:

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
I'm not sure if cynx is still active, but if he is, could he add decompiled maps from the update?

-cp_powerhouse
-pl_borneo
-koth_suijin
-cp_snowplow

Oct 6, 2008
I'm not sure if cynx is still active, but if he is, could he add decompiled maps from the update?

-cp_powerhouse
-pl_borneo
-koth_suijin
-cp_snowplow

Weren't some of these made by our members? Why not ask them to post the vmf's?

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Normally when Valve buys a map, they then own the vmf. The author can't redistribute it at that point.

I'm not clear how that works with the current map situation but it probably would not be a good idea to release the vmfs.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Yes, because we all know how litigious Valve is when it comes to such things.

9_9

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Normally when Valve buys a map, they then own the vmf. The author can't redistribute it at that point.
The question on this is if they realy did buy it, it could be that they didnt realy buy it but only take the rights that allow them to publish it to gain money giving the mapper still control of what happens to the map.
If its that last case releasing the vmf should be possible. But for a part i see some upsides and some downsides to it.

A decompile requires mapper knowledge to fix the map. This effort is a good way to get rid of bad mappers trying to do stupid things with the map. Seeing how quickly some people just take someone elses work only to put in a logo and their own name (with trade maps this seems to be even worse), i think that a decompile is just better as all it does is show the entity work. The brushwork often becomes messed and creates errors. Errors which are a good system to stop those who want to steal it, yet still help bad mappers at gaining knowledge

An original vmf might however indeed be a better resource as its all unmodified and shows the exact brushwork. So even if its possible, i rather would just deliver the vmf on request base. And only to mappers i know that will handle it with care and not spread it into the wild or take credit.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
There is the issue of the exact legal terms. It is possible to sell some, but not all rights to a map.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
There is the issue of the exact legal terms. It is possible to sell some, but not all rights to a map.
Most vital rights can still be sold to completely remove permission to continue working on your own map. You remain the rights on being the author of the map, this indeed cant be removed. But all companies normaly want is the copyright, as this right gives them the ability to sell it, modify it etc. And when valve has this right you cannot publish the vmf.

The right valve seems to take (from reading the eula earlier) it seems to be the kind where they only take the rights that allow them to publish it (and full rights), but they dont take ownership. Yet when you decide to remove it from the workshop valve will lose those rights. But even there they have an exclusion to that: as long as the map is in a promoted event they can use the map for its entire duration. Even if you remove it valve will not have to remove it from the game.

And for valve that seems to be enough, although is still hope that as long as the mapper didnt remove it from the workshop it can remain in the game permanently. Except then put under its normal category rather than gun mettle. (because tbh, with all the bad players only borneo is realy fun - yet with good players also like snowplow)

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
The thread creator hasn't been online since 2014..... I guess its time we made a new updated thread.